Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does it mean to be successful?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

How do you measure success? 

Is it a matter of how much money you have made? 

Is it how you personally feel or do there need to be outside recognition validating your success?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,  compassionate with aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these.  George Washngton Carver

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CatRose15
by Cat on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I measure it by - if my daughter is happy and well adjusted, my happiness, good friendships but not necessarily a lot of friends, ability to provide lifes necessities and some extras, if I still have a job at the end of the day, and desire to do more than just sit on the couch and read all day.

katy_kay
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I measure success by the level of peace I feel in my life.  It's not about having a lot of money but yes money plays a role for me.  When we are not stressing over money, our needs are met, our reasonable wants are available to us, we have a good health and when I am content in my skin I feel successful.  

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM

But sitting on the couch reading is nice:)

I look at my kids and somedays I feel totally successful and others its a complete wash.

Quoting CatRose15:

I measure it by - if my daughter is happy and well adjusted, my happiness, good friendships but not necessarily a lot of friends, ability to provide lifes necessities and some extras, if I still have a job at the end of the day, and desire to do more than just sit on the couch and read all day.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,  compassionate with aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these.  George Washngton Carver

AMom29
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM

In this country?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

katy_kay
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM

That's how you measure success?  

Quoting AMom29:

In this country?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

I measure success by the level of peace I feel in my life.  It's not about having a lot of money but yes money plays a role for me.  When we are not stressing over money, our needs are met, our reasonable wants are available to us, we have a good health and when I am content in my skin I feel successful.  

I agree that being content is very important in the big picture.

Princess223
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Contentment in the life I am livin' daily. I live the simple life, it's a successful life.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I measure it in happiness.

stormcris
by Christy on Sep. 29, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I woke up....beyond that anything is possible. Yes, there are days that I think of what more I might have accomplished had I chose a different path but to me success is just waking up and making the best of everyday, be it a great or horrible day just do what ya can. I don't consider happiness success because being happy all the time I would fail to appreciate life. I love experiencing all emotions because they are all important. Might seem strange to some.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 8:34 AM
Quoting survivorinohio:

How do you measure success? 

Is it a matter of how much money you have made? 

Someone is successful if they manage to do what they set out to do.

If their intention is to get rich, then they are successful if they end up rich.

If their intention is to be happy, then they are successful if they are happy.

You could, if you want, compare someone to those who share similar objective and obstacles, then rank them, but I can't see the point. 

But here's a question for you: which is the more 'successful' person?

Person A - has the intention of getting $5,000,000 by the age of 50, but 'only' gets $4,000,000

Person B - has the intention of getting $2,000,000 by the age of 50, but gets $3,000,000

(Assume they both start off with the same resources and abilities, but Person A did better when gambling on the stock market - pure chance.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)