Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama: Fox News Has A Point Of View That 'Is Ultimately Destructive' For America

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM
  • 112 Replies

Posted: 09-28-10 12:03 PM

Obama

President Obama hit out hard at Fox News in an interview with Rolling Stone.

In the interview, which was released Tuesday, Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner asked Obama, "What do you think of Fox News? Do you think it's a good institution for America and for democracy?"

Obama's response:

[Laughs] Look, as president, I swore to uphold the Constitution, and part of that Constitution is a free press. We've got a tradition in this country of a press that oftentimes is opinionated. The golden age of an objective press was a pretty narrow span of time in our history. Before that, you had folks like Hearst who used their newspapers very intentionally to promote their viewpoints. I think Fox is part of that tradition -- it is part of the tradition that has a very clear, undeniable point of view. It's a point of view that I disagree with. It's a point of view that I think is ultimately destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class and is competitive in the world. But as an economic enterprise, it's been wildly successful. And I suspect that if you ask Mr. Murdoch what his number-one concern is, it's that Fox is very successful.

The president's comments are only the latest in a long line of battles between the Obama administration and Fox News. Last year, relations reached a low when then-Communications Director Anita Dunn publicly blasted the network, calling it "the communications arm of the Republican party."

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM

This feud between Fox and President Obama has been long going and will probably never change.  I feel that Fox news is the talking corner stone for ultra conservative thinkers,  while other news cast, though not always, have a more balanced point of view.  I think about it, O'Reilly, Hannity, Ann Coulter, Palin, Beck, and Limbaugh, ultra conservative, anti Obama ppl all on fox news.  Though others have an opinion on things, none on other news programs or their own shows are as narrow minded as this group is.  Even Racheal Maddox (I think that is how it is spelled) allows ppl an opinion, she may disagree but atleast they get a chance.  JMO

dreamcatcher10
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Yeah, he's right.

samthecat001
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM

of course he does.  people in power generally dont like opposition.

AMom29
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Well, duh.

AMom29
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Quoting samthecat001:

That's true, but Fox seems to be the Grand Marshall of this particular parade.

TTWWBB
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Quoting samthecat001:

Fox goes a bit beyond just opposition.  They twist the facts, flat out lie, creative editing and don't allow opposing views to even be heard.  They are a full-out propaganda machine that has sucked in a target audience that has basically become brainwashed by their B.S.  These people are nothing but ratings and advertising dollars to the powers behind Fox.

I'm often reminded of this quote whenever Fox is brought up.

"By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise." - Hitler

I actually have very little faith in any of todays media...even my local news station.  I get most of my information through my own research...direct to the source as possible anymore, but Fox is by far the worst and I agree with what Obama has said.  It's hard to pull a country together when so many people are buying into the B.S.

Jellybean82
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I agree with him 100% and respect him for saying it, especially that last bit.

DVD
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM

He is right! All we have to fear is fear itself! (WW)

If they keep spewing fear and hate then all we will get is fear and hate.

I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.
Mother Teresa 

What she meant was that if we truly want to project peace into the world we cannot pay more attention to the war. kwim?

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Yes...because the Gray Lady isn't remotely 'biased' ..doesn't 'have an agenda' or a 'political point of view'...Whatever.

You know...he was a part of the 'bush' era spending and decision making with regards to legislating and spending...I don't know how when he continues to talk about that period as being so destructive he doesn't count himself among those who 'got us into this mess'...So, excuse me if I think he's off the mark. I will grant HE didn't bring it up, the interviewer did, but it's down right sad the way he's tried to 'take on' a legitimate news organization like he has. FOCUS on the COUNTRY man! LOL

P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)