Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trans Teen Denied Homecoming Crown PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Sam
  • 19 Replies

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/27/Trans_Teen_Refused_Homecoming_Crown//?ref=nf

OAK REED X390 (GRAB) | ADVOCATE.COM

After being elected homecoming king by his peers, a transgender Michigan high-schooler was denied his crown by school officials.

Oakleigh Reed, known as "Oak" by students, was told by his principal that all the votes he received had to be invalidated because he enrolled at Muskegon, Mich.'s Mona Shores High School as a female. Teachers, school staff, and fellow students refer to Reed as "he," and appear comfortable with his status as a young transgender man. But for some reason the homecoming race was viewed as different, and a runner-up king was given the crown.

Fellow students launched an "Oak Is Our King" Facebook page and plan on wearing T-shirts with Oak-supportive messages on October 1.

Video interview in link

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
40isfun
by Christi on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM

What is transgender?  I get the terms confused.  If it means he/she changed sexes and now has the sex organs of the other sex, then whatever sex organs he/she has that is what he/she is.  The confusion irritates me though.

dreamcatcher10
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Transgender means they are only living as opposite. Trans sexual means they got sex change.

dreamcatcher10
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Does the king technicallly have to be a boy? I mean, he's living as a boy, what does whats in his pants matter?He did get the vote to be king, right? If thats what the kids voted for then so be it.

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM

He still has female sex organs, but lives as a boy and plans on undergoing a sex change operation in the near future.

Quoting 40isfun:

What is transgender?  I get the terms confused.  If it means he/she changed sexes and now has the sex organs of the other sex, then whatever sex organs he/she has that is what he/she is.  The confusion irritates me though.

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Quoting dreamcatcher10:

Does the king technicallly have to be a boy? I mean, he's living as a boy, what does whats in his pants matter?He did get the vote to be king, right? If thats what the kids voted for then so be it.

I don't think it should matter.

I know plenty of queens and they all have male parts.

If he believes he's a boy, Lives as a boy, is planning on becoming a boy, he should have his title & crown. If his peers elected him and are comfortable with it (oblivious if they elected him) he should have it. 

Next time you think all Muslims are evil, murderous, war craving lunatics, Remember these faces.

ecagle
by Kegel on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM

While I think it's horrible he was denied his crown....I am SO impressed with his peers who voted for him as homecoming kind and then STOOD UP for him against the bigotry of the adults in the situation.  Says a lot about the teens in that school AND their parents...

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I agree.  My nephew is gay, and he was picked on horribly when he was younger.  He came out of the closet during his sophomore year, and the amount of rallying around him has been AMAZING.  Kids all over the country are really turning around when it comes to the LBGT community, and it's wonderful!  Now if we could just get the adults to open their eyes lol.

Quoting ecagle:

While I think it's horrible he was denied his crown....I am SO impressed with his peers who voted for him as homecoming kind and then STOOD UP for him against the bigotry of the adults in the situation.  Says a lot about the teens in that school AND their parents...

RazmatazzBt
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM
That is wrongity wrong wrong. He's a dude plain and simple, his peers agree, it shouldn't matter that he doesn't have anything between his legs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I should add that some FtM (Female to Male) transgender people never have bottom surgery because the results are typically not very good. Even the top surgery leaves obvious scars and usually has to have at least one surgical revision. MtF (Male to Female) transgender patients have much better, natural looking results. 

Edited to clarify abbreviations.

DVD
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

He still has female sex organs, but lives as a boy and plans on undergoing a sex change operation in the near future.

Quoting 40isfun:

samantha is right but I just wanted to add a **giggle** to your response 40...I could hear your confusion in my head with all the he/she's ...  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)