Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF!!!!! Sharron Angle And Her Husband Receive Government Health Care

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM
  • 68 Replies

Sharron Angle And Her Husband Receive Government Health Care

sharron-angleThroughout her campaign for U.S. Senate in Nevada, GOP candidate and tea party favorite Sharron Angle has railed against government intervention in just about everything. Angle said she wants to “personalize” Social Security, and she even went so far as to suggest the possibility of an armed insurrection against the U.S. government to protect “against a tyrannical government.” Part of Angle’s anti-government philosophy has also included health care. She wants to repeal the new health care law and recently attacked mandating coverage for autism and maternity leave. She even suggested that Medicare and VA coverage work “towards a privatized system.” But Politiconotes today that Angle this week admitted that both she and her husband benefit from government subsidized health care:

Angle’s campaign acknowledged to Nevada journalist Jon Ralston Monday that both the candidate and her husband receive health care from the federal government. Spokeswoman Ciara Matthews said in a statement: “Mr. Ted Angle receives his pension through the (federal) Civil Service Retirement System. While it is not supplemented by the federal government, current civil servants pay into the program to pay the schedule of those already retired – much like how the Social Security Program works today. Mr. Angle does not qualify – nor does he receive Social Security benefits. His health insurance plan (the Federal Employee Health Program), which also covers Sharron, is a continuation of what he was receiving while he worked for the federal government.”

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMom29
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM

What a wingnut.

Quote:

Part of Angle’s anti-government philosophy has also included health care. She wants to repeal the new health care law and recently attacked mandating coverage for autism and maternity leave.

This irritates me.  Who is their right mind would be against coverage for these things?  I don't get it.

The Professional Right don't want compromise....they want it all.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM

So the federal programs they benefit from are part of his pension plan?  What's the problem? 

SxyMartini
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM

How can you be against something you are currently benefiting from? Hypocritical??????

PamR
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Ugh.  I don't know what to say about some of these nuts. 

katy_kay
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM

There is more than enough information to show that Angle is a bad candidate I think this claim about her receiving government healthcare is reaching and deceptive.  

Technically every employee that works for the government receives "government health care" what that simplified answer leaves out is that they provide a service for that benefit.  Those that retire prior to 65+ are able to keep their health care because in many chases they would not qualify for an cost effective individual plan but that "benefit" is extended to other retirees.  

There is a direction one could take with this but trying to spin it as "government health care" isn't it.  

One could ask what she and her husband would do without that benefit, how would they address the fact that they would more than likely not qualify for a cost effective health care plan at their age and that many of their current health care needs would have been 'pre-existing' had they been forced to buy an individual plan upon his retirement.  

kam013
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Not sure what the issue is regarding their health insurance.  If I am reading it correctly he worked for the Federal Government in some capacity, doesn't mention what his job was.  I guess we are to assume that he is now retired so they receive their medical coverage from his former employer.  This is no different from what my parents did when my Dad retired from his job prior to his SS benefits being available, he continued on with the coverage that he had through his employer. 

Just because his employer was the federal government doesn't mean that they have to be for Government run health care, it is an employee benefit offered just like most large corporations.

Do I agree with some of the other things mentioned in the article, about maternity leave and autism?  Not really, but I also don't want the government involved in my healthcare. 

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM

It's NOT government healthcare...which IMPLIES the government PAYS for it..it's more akin to health care benefits provided by unions on union jobs or other such large plans ...the benefactors PAY in to the program...NOT the government.

While it is not supplemented by the federal government, current civil servants pay into the program to pay the schedule of those already retired

Mr. Angle does not qualify – nor does he receive Social Security benefits. 

What part of that information tells you that YOU the taxpayer provide his medical?

P

SxyMartini
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Sharron Angle And Her Husband Are On Government Health Care Plans

The Huffington Post   |  Nick Wing Posted: 09-28-10 04:01 PM

WHAT'S YOUR REACTION?

12views
Sharron Angle Health Care

Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle's staunch opposition to federal involvement in health care -- or pretty much everything, for that matter -- was contorted Tuesday with recent news that she and her husband receive government provided health care.

From Tuesday's Politico Morning Score:

Angle's campaign acknowledged to Nevada journalist Jon Ralston Monday that both the candidate and her husband receive health care from the federal government. Spokeswoman Ciara Matthews said in a statement: "Mr. Ted Angle receives his pension through the (federal) Civil Service Retirement System. While it is not supplemented by the federal government, current civil servants pay into the program to pay the schedule of those already retired - much like how the Social Security Program works today. Mr. Angle does not qualify - nor does he receive Social Security benefits. His health insurance plan (the Federal Employee Health Program), which also covers Sharron, is a continuation of what he was receiving while he worked for the federal government."

Angle's prior aversion to government-run health care -- at least for others -- has been no secret. She openly touts her intent to "Repeal and replace Obamacare" on her website, and even claimed recently that such broad legislation was actually unnecessary because there was "nothing wrong with our health care system."

"Our healthcare system is the best in the world," said Angle of the American system, once rated37th-best in the world, in August. "Our doctors are the best...The access is not what is being denied."

Despite Angle's contention that access to health care is not an issue, more than 18 percent of Nevada's population is currently uninsured, nearly 3 percent higher than the national rate.

And in 2009, Angle railed against mandated health care coverage even for autism treatment and maternity leave.

"You know what I'm talking about. You're paying for things that you don't even need. They just passed the latest one, is everything that they want to throw at us now is covered under 'autism,'" Angle said, using air quotes for the neurological disorder. "So, that's a mandate that you have to pay for. How about maternity leave? I'm not going to have anymore babies, but I sure get to pay for it on my insurance. Those are the kinds of things that we want to get rid of."

SxyMartini
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Anti-Government Tea Partier Sharron Angle Gets Health Care from the Federal Government
Posted by AlterNet on @ 11:49 am

Like many Tea Party candidates, Sharron Angle has called for a repeal of the health care act. Last week, Angle made headlines when she mocked mandated health coverage for autism treatment.

Politico reports today that Angle and her husband actually receive health care from the federal government:

Angle’s campaign acknowledged to Nevada journalist Jon Ralston Monday that both the candidate and her husband receive health care from the federal government. Spokeswoman Ciara Matthews said in a statement: “Mr. Ted Angle receives his pension through the (federal) Civil Service Retirement System. While it is not supplemented by the federal government, current civil servants pay into the program to pay the schedule of those already retired – much like how the Social Security Program works today. Mr. Angle does not qualify – nor does he receive Social Security benefits. His health insurance plan (the Federal Employee Health Program), which also covers Sharron, is a continuation of what he was receiving while he worked for the federal government.”
SxyMartini
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM

The Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) is a system of "managed competition" through which employee health benefits are provided to civilian government employees and annuitants of the United States government. Workers pay one-third of the cost of insurance, the government pays the other two-thirds.[1]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)