Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BRAC testing and elective mastectomies/oopherectomies

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM
  • 26 Replies

BRAC analysis testing tests for two gene mutations that are known for causing breast and ovarian cancer.  Patients that test positive have a 60% chance of developing breast  while a normal woman has a 12% chance.  Ovarian cancer is a 1.4% chance in a normal woman versus a 15-40% in a positive patient.

What is your opinion on them?  Would you remove your ovaries and your breasts if you had a positve test? 

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ecagle
by Kegel on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I dunno...I think I would make that decision with the help of my doctor, looking at many different factors.  The ovaries are easier though: I know after this one I'll be done having kids.  I'd remove the ovaries to not get cancer.

AnB68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM

i have a firm belief that i do not remove any body part till it shows it no longer is healthy.. they are there for a reason and you DO need every one of them..

so no i would not remove anything- i would just be extra viligint about check ups! as it is right now i have an active hpv case that has been this way for over 2yrs-- no pre cancerous cells(many coposopys!)-- so yes i have considered this-- even my ob/gyn says removal prematurly is not a good thing..

but i DO UNDERSTAND those who choose to do these procedures-- sure makes you feel proactive in your own health-- anything that promotes that i do think is a good thing...

OhiogirlinCali
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Hmmm... I never thought about it.  If I were to have the test done and it came back positive, I would  probably ask for a repeat test to be done just to be sure.  I would probably lean towards having my breasts and ovaries removed.  For me it would be worth the piece of mind.

luvsmygirls77
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Quoting AnB68:

i have a firm belief that i do not remove any body part till it shows it no longer is healthy.. they are there for a reason and you DO need every one of them..

so no i would not remove anything- i would just be extra viligint about check ups! as it is right now i have an active hpv case that has been this way for over 2yrs-- no pre cancerous cells(many coposopys!)-- so yes i have considered this-- even my ob/gyn says removal prematurly is not a good thing..

but i DO UNDERSTAND those who choose to do these procedures-- sure makes you feel proactive in your own health-- anything that promotes that i do think is a good thing...

Would you remove them though knowing your risk for developing cancer in that body part was 5 times that of the average woman?  Would you rather place toxins in your body and lose your hair and toenails and be so sick you can't move?  You do know that mammograms are not 100% right?  They missed my mom's cancer BOTH times.  The first time was caught by a routine MRI and the second was caught by an MRI after a clear mammogram.  She knew something wasn't right and pushed for the MRI and lo and behold, 2 months after a clear mammogram she had cancer again.  So, being extra vigilant about your check ups isn't always going to help either. 

I wish you luck and hope everything stays negative! 

heatkab2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I am not sure about prophylactic mastectomies and oophrectomies. I don't think I would do it. I am not even sure how I feel about BRAC testing although my mothers oncologist has encouraged my sister and I to have it done considering our mother, her sister and her mother (our grandmother) all survived breast cancer as has my paternal aunt as well.

ecagle
by Kegel on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Do want to add: if your ovaries are removed AFTER your done having kids, not a big deal.  They're there to ovulate. 

Boobs: this one is a bit more difficult...many people ♥ their boobs.  HOWEVER, one could also get reconstructive sugery + implants following the mastectomy (I believe) and still look decently normal.  I did want to add: I had a breast reduction and my plastic surgeon DID say that getting a breast reduction would decrease my risk of breast cancer.

OR...maybe women should just constantly breastfeed (or pump)...supposedly that reduces the risk too ;)  (j/k)

heatkab2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Quoting ecagle:

Do want to add: if your ovaries are removed AFTER your done having kids, not a big deal.  They're there to ovulate. 

Boobs: this one is a bit more difficult...many people ♥ their boobs.  HOWEVER, one could also get reconstructive sugery + implants following the mastectomy (I believe) and still look decently normal.  I did want to add: I had a breast reduction and my plastic surgeon DID say that getting a breast reduction would decrease my risk of breast cancer.

OR...maybe women should just constantly breastfeed (or pump)...supposedly that reduces the risk too ;)  (j/k)

Time for me to google... I had a breast reduction as well and my surgeon never said anything to that effect.

luvsmygirls77
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Time for me to google... I had a breast reduction as well and my surgeon never said anything to that effect.

It would make sense to me.  They are removing breast tissue so the less tissue you have to smaller your chance right?  I am not a doctor by any means but I would think that sounds right. 

heatkab2
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Quoting luvsmygirls77:

It would make sense to me.  They are removing breast tissue so the less tissue you have to smaller your chance right?  I am not a doctor by any means but I would think that sounds right. 

Less cells to get it in but I don't see how it could lessen the chance exactly...

ecagle
by Kegel on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Quoting heatkab2:

Quoting ecagle:

Quick google search brought this up...I guess most of the studies done on it are for women over 40 though....

Changing the article...this one is better and quotes two studies:

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band89/b89-5.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)