Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A Race Post

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM
  • 1140 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hi, there.  I'm black.  I'm not ashamed to be black.  In fact, I like it.  I've been black all my life.  Please stop acting as if it's a bad thing to bring my race or the race of prominent people into a discussion.  I say discussion because race is nothing to debate.  It just is.  It's a way to describe someone; it's a culture, a heritage.

I wish people would treat my saying I'm black the same way you treat people saying they are Irish, or Polish, or German, or English, or Mexican or French, or Italian, or Chinese, or Japanese, or Korean, okay? 

If I ask you if you have a problem with black people, it is not meant to be a prelude to a fight!  I just want to know.  And all you have to do is say no, yes (you have a right to have a problem!) or I don't want to talk about race and I'll respect that.  I might not believe it but I'll pretend I do if it seems you're offended that I asked. 

Can I please be black in here and not be forced to be worried about how sensitive you are to the words black or african american?

Well, I know at least one person wants to debate me on race so I'm prepared to try to discuss but can handle a debate.

Also, could the CM admins not treat this post as if it's some sort of subversive attempt to ruin Cafemom?  Can one post about race just be allowed to run its course and peter out due to loss of interest like any other?  Thanks very much.

by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaScorpio88
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:04 PM

you're black. So what? I'm Polish. again, so what? Why would race come up in a debate/discussion? Unless it is a post about race, or cultural differences?

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM

And so it begins. 

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

you're black. So what?

I appreciate your attempt to be nonchalant.  I'm proud of my heritage and culture.

I'm Polish. again, so what?

Poles are very proud people with a rich heritage.  Don't say so what; say, "Kiss me, I'm Polish!"  Martha Stewart is Polish and she's one of my favorite celebs.

Why would race come up in a debate/discussion?

Why wouldn't it?  Why shouldn't it?  Race should be able to be discussed anywhere, anytime, should anyone feel the need.

Unless it is a post about race, or cultural differences?

See previous reply.

youlookin4me
by Member on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I LOVE IT.... as a white women with a mixed child people sometimes have a problem saying BLACK,  just last month my new neighbore asked me what to call my daughter  i said her name is zoe,  she said no i mean is she colored or negro or what?!!?!   really?  i said hey zoe what colore are you and she said well my dad is black and my mom is white so i am mixed!     people should not act like its wrong to say  BLACK WHITE  ore otherwise.....

graciebsgranny
by Member on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:15 PM

clapping 

youlookin4me
by Member on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:15 PM

it does come up  i find more white people have a problem talking( not fighting) about race than any one else!

MamaScorpio88
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quoting JonJon:

And so it begins. Yeah, I expected it to

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

I appreciate your attempt to be nonchalant.  I'm proud of my heritage and culture.

As am I. Doesn't mean I need to talk about it all the time.

Poles are very proud people with a rich heritage.  Don't say so what; say, "Kiss me, I'm Polish!"  Martha Stewart is Polish and she's one of my favorite celebs.

I don't like Stewart. And could have gone the rest of my days not knowing she was Polish

Why wouldn't it?  Why shouldn't it?  Race should be able to be discussed anywhere, anytime, should anyone feel the need.

Why would it? What purpose would it serve? Take abortion. Are you going to bring up "Well, I'm black and I believe abortion is....."? To what point would that serve?

See previous reply.

You as well.

blessedquiver
by Member on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM

You have a beautiful attitude! I happen to be of German, Dutch  via Viking/Norwegian, and Native American decent. My bio grandpa on my bio dads sides last name was Martinez (Spanish).  When I get in the sun for a few days my Spanish and Native American show really fast. I get brown super easy.  I am proud of my ancestors, and of who I am, too! I have light skinned children, but I am also the proud momma of a beautiful brown half Filipino boy, with another little brown man on the way.

lovetocook64
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM

well technically there is only one race and that's the human race,your color is just your ethic background,and I will never understand why we care what color we are,I don't get it,it a color of skin so freaking what,I mean we all drive different color cars have different color houses,our kids play with different color crayons I mean everything has color so why does skin color have to be a big deal?

OhiogirlinCali
by on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

This!

Quoting lovetocook64:

well technically there is only one race and that's the human race,your color is just your ethic background,and I will never understand why we care what color we are,I don't get it,it a color of skin so freaking what,I mean we all drive different color cars have different color houses,our kids play with different color crayons I mean everything has color so why does skin color have to be a big deal?

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this

This post reminds me of this little girl in my daughter's class (she's 7). I went to eat lunch with my daughter, and we were sitting across from this little black girl. Her skin was light and I guess a lot of people think she's mixed. As soon as I sat down she said "Hi. My name is Shania. I'm black. My mommy's black, my daddy's black, I'm black" LOL. I thought she was adorable. I just laughed and said "that's awesome, Shania. My name is Wendi. I'm white. How has your day been going". She laughed to and went on to tell me all about her day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)