Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O Institutional racism, with a poll

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think there IS such a thing as Institutional Racism?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

This is a spin off from THIS post here.

For comprehension purposes...here is the definition of institutional racism.

Institutional racism (also called structural or systemic racism) is any form of racism occurring specifically within institutions such as public government bodies, private business corporations, and universities (public and private). Institutional racism is one of three forms of racism: (i) Personally-mediated, (ii) internalized, and (iii) institutional. The term institutional racism was coined by Stokely Carmichael of the Black Panther Party, who, in the late 1960s, defined institutional racism as “the collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their color, culture, or ethnic origin”.1

by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

BUMP!

Redteux
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Going by the definition posted here, I have no choice but to vote "yes".

This definition lists "private business corporations" and "universities (public and private)".  Since private business corporations and private universities are free to choose their employees and students as they wish, it's reasonable to assume that they can specify one race/religion/ethnicity, should they choose.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Quoting Redteux:

This definition lists "private business corporations" and "universities (public and private)".  Since private business corporations and private universities are free to choose their employees and students as they wish, it's reasonable to assume that they can specify one race/religion/ethnicity, should they choose.

Well then, crap.

I CANNOT define it, I don't believe in it.

From what I understand, there is discrimination and racism happening at the "institutional" level; I consider that to mean bureaucratic instances. Government, business, media, press...etc etc.

Another poster gave an example of "sentencing being harsher for minorities" in courts of law.

I dunno.

cuauhtemocsmom
by Member on Nov. 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM

yes.

kara_thrace
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

no.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Quoting Redteux:

And if they "choose" to hire and house only "minorities", what's that called?

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I do think it may exist still, but I do not think it is pervasive or widespread any longer. I don't think it is an excuse anymore. 

Redteux
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting Redteux:

And if they "choose" to hire and house only "minorities", what's that called?

Yes, it would qualify as "institutional racism", according to the definition provided above.

Which means - institutional racism DOES exist, and I am forced to recant my earlier statements pertaining to institutional racism.

Promoting one race to the exclusion of all others - regardless of what that race is - is the definition of racism.

bakebiscotti
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Please refer to this thread for an excellent discussion on institutional racism  LOL

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Quoting teri4lance:

I do think it may exist still, but I do not think it is pervasive or widespread any longer. I don't think it is an excuse anymore. 

It's a little amusing how you acknowledge institutional racism was widespread, state that you believe it still exists but not as much, and then call citing genuine racism as an excuse. 

I know you didn't mean "excuse" as much as you might have meant something like hinderance or barrier to progress and equality.

obtw:  Institutional racism is still widespread.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)