Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A five year old sent away to walk a mile home, UGH

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:14 AM
  • 36 Replies
MORROW, Ga. -- A Morrow mother is outraged since she learned that her 5-year-old walked a mile from school all by himself.

It was 5-year-old Julius Mays' first day at the Thurgood Marshall Elementary after-school program on Monday. His mother, April Weston, said he won't be there much longer.

"A 5-year-old walking home. To me, that's unacceptable," April Weston told Channel 2's Erica Byfield. 

Mays said when he went to the building, he was turned away. "My name was not on the list, and they told me to go," Mays told Byfield. He said he then walked home just after 3 p.m. His house is one mile away from the building, down a windy two-lane road.  

While the trek could've been quite an adventure for a young child, Weston said her heart sank after her son recalled an encounter with a strange man. "A gentleman in a red car was trying to tell him how to get home," Weston said.

Weston said she is thankful her son made it home safely, but she holds the school responsible.  

School officials said they were investigating the incident. Weston said they apologized and offered Mays a free week in the program, but she said that's not enough.

"That is an insult to injury," Weston said.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:19 AM

I can't even read this.  This is how kids get killed!  STUPID people!

angelenia
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:21 AM
wtf! I would have someone's ass!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemissmj
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:23 AM

That is an outrage. I would be sueing the shit out of those people. Why didn't they call her? They just let him walk away? The stupidity of some people. I am glad the boy is okay.

OneToughMami
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Why was he allowed to leave the school without an adult? The disctrict my daughter goes to is supposedly one of the worst in PA...yet...hmmm...kids aren't even allowed to use the bathroom without an adult...kids are not allowed to leave school grounds unless they are with someone who has permission to get them...and by permission they don't mean the kid saying "Yeah I know them..." They mean the parent signs a paper every month with a list of names who can take their kid.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Heads would and should roll!!!

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM

I know I know...I will update this post as the story progresses.

Man, I cannot even tell you just how mad I would be over something like this.

On the positive side, HUGE KUDOS to this young man for walking home safely. BIG BIG STUFF there.

OneToughMami
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:30 AM

oh yeah and I wouldn't have been sitting around calling the news...I would have been going to the school district and telling them to take their school and shove it up their ass...then withdrawing my kid...I plan to provide my child with transportation until she is a safe driver...and for now...I walk her to and from her bus...or drive her right to the school...depends on the day

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:51 AM

angryIDK what schools are thinking about sometimes. I used to walk to get my DD in kindergarten and one day she met me a block down the street! I walked her back to school and confronted the principal as to why a 5 yo was allowed to leave school grounds alone. Crazy woman just looked at me and said "I'm sorry, I don't know you". WTF? I told her "no you DON'T know me but yet I'm walking with this child that was down the block!" Not to mention the time they let my BIL pick her up when my DH was supposed to. There is a REASON why his name is not on the list of people to pick her up. 

I don't care if that little boy's name wasn't on any list, they should have kept him there and straightened it out. Curious though as to why mom wasn't with him for his first day of school. That's a little odd.   

wickedbehla
by Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Quoting littlemissmj:

That is an outrage. I would be sueing the shit out of those people. Why didn't they call her? They just let him walk away? The stupidity of some people. I am glad the boy is okay.

AMBG825
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:48 AM

I hear stories like this and it makes me grateful for the school we have. I remember one time my DS (then 8) missed the bus and decided to walk to school. It's 1 mile down a 2 lane road. The school was the ones that got concerned and called me when they found out he had walked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)