Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Westboro church plans to picket Edwards' funeral

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM
  • 18 Replies

A Kansas church famous for its anti-homosexual protests at funerals plans to protest at the Saturday funeral of Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of two-time Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards.

The Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest for 45 minutes before the funeral set for 1 p.m. at Edenton Street United Methodist Church in downtown Raleigh, according to the church's website. Raleigh police spokesman Jim Sughrue, however, said Thursday that the group hadn't applied for a permit to protest.

The Westboro church website throws invective at Edwards but gives no specific reason why they chose to protest her funeral.

The Topeka, Kansas, church is well known for holding anti-homosexual protests at funerals, often at those of soldiers. The church, which is not affiliated with any larger Baptist group, is led by Fred Phelps and mostly attended by his family members.

News of the planned protest sparked a reaction on Facebook. A group called "Protect Elizabeth Edwards funeral from Westboro church" said they would create "a human buffer" between any protesters and the funeral-goers.

Edwards, 61, died Tuesday at her Chapel Hill home after a six-year battle with breast cancer. 

She was first diagnosed with cancer in the waning days of the 2004 presidential campaign, when John Edwards, who was then a U.S. senator from North Carolina, was the Democratic nominee for vice president. The couple didn't disclose her illness until after the election.

The cancer went into remission after surgery and months of treatment, but it resurfaced in early 2007, as John Edwards was mounting a second run at the White House. The Edwardses agreed at the time that they wouldn't allow the cancer to derail his candidacy.

Because the cancer had moved into her bones, her doctors said at that time that it was no longer curable but could be treated. Doctors recently informed Edwards that the cancer had spread and recommended that she stop treatment.

Edwards is survived by her husband, daughters Cate and Emma Claire and son Jack.

After the funeral, she will be buried in a private service at Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, next to her oldest son, Wade. He died at age 16 in 1996 when his Jeep overturned as he was driving from the family's home in Raleigh to their beach house on Figure Eight Island, near Wilmington.

The family asked that people make donations to the Wade Edwards Foundation, which supports a computer lab for high school students in Raleigh.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8749610/

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OhiogirlinCali
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM

What sick jerks... they are just after attention...

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Protesting at anyone's funeral is disgusting.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM

It would be nice if at one of these funerals they protest some person who is crazy that opposes their view shows up and kills the leaders and mame others to show them their behavior won't be accepted. Their behavior is inexcusable!

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I will say the same thing in this thread as I did in the other. 

I doubt they will make it. Too much security. 

wulfbourne
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Quoting glitterteaz:

It would be nice if at one of these funerals they protest some person who is crazy that opposes their view shows up and kills the leaders and mame others to show them their behavior won't be accepted. Their behavior is inexcusable!

Why stoop to their level of hate.  If people ignore them they will eventually go away.  They feed off of hate and they make money via lawsuits for having their rights infringed on. 

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Of course they are, the douchebags! Seriously, I wish someone would take a crotch shot at Phelps. (Any of them will do.) 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Can't they just go hang at Reille Hunters house?

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:14 PM

angryI couldn't give a rat's ass WHY they want to protest her funeral. It pisses me off when scewballs like this do it at ANY funeral. WTH is the point of protesting a funeral? Protests are supposed to be to change things. WTH are they changing at a funeral? She's DEAD. All they're accomplishing is upsetting the family even more. And they have the nerve to represent themselves as a religious group. Pfft.

Bella_Madre
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM

FU*K THAT!  

They need to be protested, I wish I lived in Kansas!

wulfbourne
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Quoting resamerie:

angryI couldn't give a rat's ass WHY they want to protest her funeral. It pisses me off when scewballs like this do it at ANY funeral. WTH is the point of protesting a funeral? Protests are supposed to be to change things. WTH are they changing at a funeral? She's DEAD. All they're accomplishing is upsetting the family even more. And they have the nerve to represent themselves as a religious group. Pfft.

They accomplish their goal of pissing people off to the point they make a mistake and then the WBC can sue.  That's how they make their money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)