Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TSA patdown female Indian diplomat, causing international incident

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

India's ambassador Meera Shankar frisked at US airport

India's ambassador to US has been pulled from an airport security line and frisked by a security agent in Mississippi, it has emerged.

The hands-on search took place last week even after Meera Shankar's diplomatic status was revealed.

Some reports said Ms Shankar, who was on her way from a conference, was singled out because she was wearing a sari.

The Indian embassy in Washington has strongly protested about the incident.

The search took place on 4 December at the Jackson-Evers International Airport, news agency Press Trust of India quoted an Indian Embassy official as saying.

Ms Shankar was about to board a flight to Baltimore after attending an event at Mississippi State University.

She was taken to a VIP waiting room despite staff being told that she was an ambassador, he said.

She was later pulled from a security line and patted down by a female Transportation Security Administration agent.

"This is unacceptable to India and we are going to take it up with the US government and I hope things could be resolved so that such unpleasant incidents do not recur," External Affairs Minister SM Krishna told reporters in Delhi.

'Stupid incident'

The incident has also embarrassed the university officials who had invited Ms Shankar to give a speech.

"It was a wonderful programme, maybe the best we've had, (but) this stupid incident ruined the whole thing," Associated Press quoted Janos Radvanyi, chair of the university's international studies department as saying.

"She said, 'I will never come back here'. We are sending her a letter of apology," he said.

Last year, America's Continental Airlines apologised to former Indian president APJ Abdul Kalam for frisking him before he boarded a flight to the US.

Members of India's parliament were outraged after it emerged that Mr Kalam had been frisked and made to remove his shoes at Delhi airport in April.

Protocol exempts former presidents and other dignitaries from such searches.

source

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM

TSA should really no better. I don't understand who is teaching these people to do their jobs. Where was the supervisor?

MamaScorpio88
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM

oh damn. bad TSA

*rolls up newspaper*

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM

My daughter will be leaving to her new home in SC this next week she is doing the scanner. She is very phobic about being touched. It is getting crazy

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

TSA should really no better. I don't understand who is teaching these people to do their jobs. Where was the supervisor?

Why is this woman exempt? I'm sorry, but if the American public has to be humiliated in this fashion, I think all diplomats and politicians in our country should have to endure it as well. It's only fair.

wulfbourne
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Why is this woman exempt? I'm sorry, but if the American public has to be humiliated in this fashion, I think all diplomats and politicians in our country should have to endure it as well. It's only fair.

I think our Congressmen should since they allow it to happen, but for international diplomats there are delicate relationships at stake. 

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I agree, she should not be exempt.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Beatlemama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I don't think she should be exempt either, but I am certainly enjoying watching TSA take some international heat for this.  If they are going to have this policy, they SHOULD take some heat. 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting smalltowngal:

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:21 PM

hehe, I agree.  They should be taking heat for all of it and am glad of that.

Quoting Beatlemama:

I don't think she should be exempt either, but I am certainly enjoying watching TSA take some international heat for this.  If they are going to have this policy, they SHOULD take some heat. 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting smalltowngal:

parrishsky
by Maxfield on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I swear next time I travel I'm gonna cause a scene just to get some attention. jk.

This is ridiculous!  Glad I live in a beautiful state where little travel is required to enjoy snow, beach and city living!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)