Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Salvation Army bans Potter, Twilight toys.

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM
  • 94 Replies

The Salvation Army says it refuses to distribute Harry Potter and Twilight toys collected for needy children because they're incompatible with the charity's Christian beliefs.

The policy has alarmed a Calgarian who volunteered to sift through a southeast warehouse full of unused, donated items and was alarmed when he was told by Salvation Army officials that the two kinds of toys are "disposed of" and not given to other charities.

"I asked if these toys went to another charitable organizations but was told no, that by passing these toys on to another agency for distribution would be supporting these toys," said the man, who wouldn't give his name due to his occupation.

The man called himself an admirer of the Salvation Army and was impressed by the massive quantity of toys collected in city malls, schools and police stations through the Toy Mountain campaign.

But he questioned why the charity would be sifting out Harry Potter and Twilight toys, which involve sorcery and vampire themes, respectively.

"I was told to withhold a six-inch Harry Potter figure, but when I picked up a plastic M-16, I was told, 'That's for the 10-year-olds,'" he said.

"I was shocked...war-themed toys and toys from TV shows and movies with far more violence than Harry Potter and these were considered appropriate toys?"

The Sally Ann refuses to distribute the Twilight and Harry Potter toys because of their wizardry, vampire and werewolf content, said Capt. Pam Goodyear.

"The Salvation Army is based on Christian principles, so these things are not in line with those," said Goodyear.

But she said the charity delivers those toys to other agencies that then distribute them.

"They're distributed in another manner where parents can choose," she said, though she couldn't name any of those other agencies.

And she said it has been Sally Ann policy not to distribute war toys like plastic guns, though many of those decisions are made by the local ministry unit operating the warehouse.

Goodyear said the charity should inform donors which toys it chooses not to distribute.

"There are always learning opportunities," she said.

"But in my 20 years with the Salvation Army, this has never been an issue," she said.

source

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM
That's ridiculous. This is why I have a hard time with some religious charities. They put their agenda before the actual needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM
One more reason I NEVER donate to them and never will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Shelley-
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Wasn't Twilight written by a Christian?

OhiogirlinCali
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I think they need to get their priorities straight....

tharealty2
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I think it is their right to refuse certain types of items.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Really?  Needs?  I didn't realize toys were a need, they may be a want but not a need.  I think the Salvation Army is within their rights to refuse to give a toy that they feel does not fit into their beliefs.

Quoting jessilin0113:

That's ridiculous. This is why I have a hard time with some religious charities. They put their agenda before the actual needs.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Of course it's within their right.  Did I ever say it wasn't?  I'd still say giving a child who might not otherwise get anything for Christmas what they want, even if it's a Harry Potter toy, should trump any point they might want to make. But thats just me.

Edited to add: when I said "needs" i wasn't JUST referring to the Salvation Army and their toy drive, but any charity that puts an agenda above actual needs.  Like if there was a charity that puts "Christian conversion" above "clean water".  I have big time issues with that. 

Quoting Peanutx3:

Really?  Needs?  I didn't realize toys were a need, they may be a want but not a need.  I think the Salvation Army is within their rights to refuse to give a toy that they feel does not fit into their beliefs.

Quoting jessilin0113:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I think I will do my donations to other charities. What a bunch of idiots!

Beatlemama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM

They are within their rights to refuse certain donations and I am within my rights to choose to donate elsewhere.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I would be OK with them refusing to hand them out. But I am not OK with them throwing them away. That is wasteful. *sighs*  I am starting to seriously wonder if any charity is worth supporting anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)