Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Top 30 Reasons to Oppose Gun Control

Posted by   + Show Post

Top 30 Reasons to Oppose Gun Control

1. In over two hundred years of American history, most Second Amendment challenges to gun laws have failed in the courts, but the NRA knows more about the law and the Constitution than the courts.

2. Patrick Henry opposed adding the Second Amendment to the Constitution. That's why quotations from Henry are used by pro-gun activists to support their interpretation of the second amendment.

3. The Founding Fathers intended to create a libertarian utopia. That's very evident from reading the following quotations:

James Madison wrote, "In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men the great difficulty lies in this: You must first enable the government to control the governed, and in the next place, oblige it to control itself." (Federalist 51).
John Jay explained, "Nothing is more certain than the indispensable necessity of government, and it is equally undeniable, that whenever and however it is instituted, the people must cede to it some of their natural rights in order to vest it with requisite powers." (Federalist 2)

4. Guns don't kill people which is why the government could save a lot of money by sending soldiers into battle unarmed. Soldiers will find ways to kill the enemy with or without guns. Guns are just inanimate objects.

5. It's a good idea to own a gun at home because a gun is more likely to be used to kill a friend or family member rather than a criminal.

6. There have been gun control laws for over 200 years in America, but because of modern day circumstances gun-control is no longer needed.

7. The so called standard model of the Second Amendment has received little support from historians of the early American period, but the NRA knows better.

8. Only law abiding citizens need guns to kill. Law abiding citizens need guns to kill criminals in self defense, but criminals will always be able to successfully kill others whether they have guns or not.

9. Although firearms are inanimate objects and therefore can't kill people, they do somehow have the magical power to protect a person against political tyranny.

10. Guns are a protection against political tyranny. For example, private ownership of guns was very common in Iraq while Sadam Hussein was in power. Guns are the reason the Iraqi people have enjoyed so much more freedom than people in England where guns have been banned.

11. It's a good idea to make it easy for criminals to obtain guns.

12. According to the British Crime Survey, crime in England has gone down. However, the NRA is the best source of information about crime.

13. Using Gary Kleck's survey methodology it could be shown that millions of Americans have been victims of gun crimes. Despite this, Kleck's studies reveal the truth about defensive gun use.

14. John Lott is a reliable source of information although he kept changing his story about where he got his information for a study in his book More Guns Less Crime.

15. Gun advocate Gary Kleck commented in his book Targeting Guns: Firearms and their Control, "More likely, the declines in crime coinciding with relaxation of carry laws were largely attributable to other factors not controlled in the Lott and Mustard analysis." Kleck and Lott contradict each other so they both must be right.

16. During the 1980's the NRA tried to convince President Reagan to abolish the ATF, the law enforcment agency in charge of enforcing federal gun control laws. This is because the best way to enforce current gun laws is to abolish law enforcement.

17. It's a good idea to always have a loaded gun around when you lose your temper.

18. Children are safer if they have easy access to guns.

19. The International Crime Victim Survey found a positive correlation between gun ownership and increases in homicide and suicide, but the right to life doesn't matter.

20. Pro-gun propaganda is very good logic. Let's apply pro-gun propaganda to cars to demonstrate this- Cars don't kill people, people kill people. That's why stop signs and speed limits should be abolished.

21. Criminals don't obey laws and that's why all laws should be abolished.

22. Gun violence means more freedom. Just ask the family of any gun violence victim to verify this.

23. The Second Amendment's main purpose is to protect a personal right of self defense against criminals which is why the Founding Fathers of America decided to make this very clear by beginning the Second Amendment by talking about a well regulated militia.

24. In United States v. Miller the Supreme Court recognized that the "possession or use" of a weapon must be reasonably related to a well regulated miltia to enjoy second amendment protection. That's why there is an individual right to own any military weapon whether or not its possession or use is related to militia activity.

25. In United States v. Miller, the Supreme Court stated that the Second Amendment must be interpreted with the militia end in view.

26. Assault weapons crime decreased after the passage of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. Gun crime went down the most in states that didn't previously have their own ban on assault weapons. That's why the ban was ineffective.

27. There is much more gun violence in the US than other industrialized nations, but it's better to face an armed criminal.

28. Chanting a lie over and over again will somehow make it come true.

29. Protecting the gun industry from lawsuits has been one of the main priorities of the NRA because we all know that criminal gun dealers who sell firearms to child killers are model citizens.

30. Most murders in the US are committed with guns, but killing is not the purpose of a gun.

by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
CatRose15
by Cat on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting treehugger823:

Hmm. Well my thought is, criminals will have guns regardless of if they're legal. If we make guns illegal, only criminals will have guns. Law abiding citizens will have no way of defending themselves against said criminals.

guns for personal use are illegal here...the beautiful thing is criminals that I may encounter have just as much chance of having a gun as I do.  We dont have gun shops, we dont have people who own them and can have them stolen.  Those who do have guns dont use them on everyday citizens...they use them on other criminals, I can deal with that.

Ive defended myself quite well without the use of a gun.

However.....the US is doomed you are too far gone to just stop having guns.  Too many crazies roaming around with them, ready to defend their Tv's and cell phones...or the really crazy ones that have compounds with hidden stashes of guns in bunkers...bazooka's at the ready for when they need to defend themselves against their govt.

Im so glad I live in a country where I can call a wanker a wanker and not think I may get shot :-)

It's the mindset here - you must have a gun to be safe.  And regardless of what happens in other countries, or how many people from other countries speak on gun control and guns not being allowed except by police/military - in America the NRA has convinced people that they must have guns to be safe.  That you must have guns to protect your family and property and that all of the deaths caused by guns are myths and none of them are true if you know gun safety. 

Those of us who accept reality that guns are not safe, that criminals are not killed as often with guns as family/friends, and that if guns were less easy to purchase less criminals would have them - apparently logic has nothing to do with gun ownership. 

I grew up around guns, I know maybe 5 other people that don't own guns - and they are all convinced that nothing bad will ever happen.  I know one person who had a meltdown and shot himself.  I know another person who shot himself in the foot and almost lost his foot.  I know a third person who pulled a gun in a barfight and ended up in jail - the person he pulled the gun on wasn't armed and was not a criminal. 

We are a violent country and becoming more violent.  Instead of looking towards peaceful ways of reducing crime - we prefer punishment and violence to stop violence and crime.  Apparently MLK Jr. and Ghandi didn't have much impact here with their message of nonviolence. 

I am a: vaccinating; pro-choice; organic food eating; full-time working; single mom

toddler girl

RoshaMadHatter
by Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM

THIS!

Quoting chaimsmom:

Because of this article, I can assume that you don't own guns. That obviously makes you more knowledgable about guns than me. I was raised around guns, my husband was raised around guns, and my son was raised around guns. Even though guns cause murders and suicides, we are all still here. My husband and I have been married for twenty-seven years, and we always kept guns in the house, but somehow we were able to stop ourselves from grabbing the nearest gun and killing each other. Numerous times in my life, I have been saved by a gun. When I was 24, I was coming home from a nightclub when a man pulled me into an alley, held up his knife, and said he would kill me if I screamed. I drew my .38 revolver and shot him. Last year, someone broke into our house when my husband was away and tried to rape me. The 12-gauge we have laying near our bed stopped him pretty quickly. Wow, guns sure are bad to have around. I mean, in 53 years, I've shot two criminals and no friends or family members. Guns really do make me kill people I care about. 

As for children being around guns, your theory of safety is ridiculous. In order to protect our children, we should never teach them how to properly use something? My 22-year-old can disassemble and re-assemble any gun we own in under 60 seconds, and he knows the rules of gun safety. We never placed blinders and noise-canceling headphones on him and prayed that he would never encounter a gun in his life. It's attitudes like that that lead to gun accidents. From a very young age, we taught my son that guns are not toys, and to treat every gun like it is loaded unless he unloaded it himself and it hasn't left his sight. His entire life, my son has used guns (and is an excellent shot, I might add) and has never once had a fatal accident, or any accident at all. In fact, he was also saved by a gun. One night he was coming home from work and he was car-jacked. The criminal opened the door, grabbed him, and pulled him out. He was about to get in the car when my son drew his pistol and told the criminal not to move. He then called the cops, and they took the criminal away. The violence-causing guns strike again!

Second Amendment: as unambiguous as a draft notice.  "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Let's deconstruct this. Is there some part of the term "shall not be infringed" that confuses you? That means that no law can be passed that stops me from going into a gun store and walking out with an assualt rifle (actually, I have three). Any law that is passed that prevents me from doing that is unconstitutional. 

Fun fact: the gun industry provides guns to police officers and the military. But in your narrow-minded liberal view, anyone who owns a gun is a "child killer" and anyone who makes guns for law enforcement and national security is a "criminal gun dealer". If you want to eliminate criminal gun dealers, focus on people who distribute illegal guns to criminals, not people who make guns so you can be safe in America and attack the Constitution. 

And no one says that the purpose of a gun is something other than killing. But there are different types of killing. Self-defense against criminals, for instance. Are you saying that killing in self-defense isn't justified? What about police officers in the same situation? And how about the military? What about the brave men and women of the Revolutionary War, who used their guns to gain independence from an oppressive monarchy? What about the Americans who used their guns in World War 2 to save countless people from Hitler and his Nazi war machine? 

You make me sick. You think that somehow, removing tools used for violence will somehow stop the violence that is innate within us all. And let's say, hypothetically, all guns in the world are destroyed by some miracle. Then what? Criminals start using knives to rob people. And then the entire argument begins again. You will whine about how knives kill people, and try to get all knives in the world destroyed. And where does it stop? If you don't like guns, fine. Don't get one. But don't try to take away my guns, which are guaranteed to me by the Constitution.  

_Bama_
by on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I like my guns... Im glad I live in the country where I can keep them... 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

How about enforcing the laws already on the books and punishing those who break them....leaving alone the millions of gun owners that actually obey the letter of the law?

Or is the agenda of oppressing and controlling the law abiding citizens the actual agenda here?

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Quoting turtle68:

Im so glad I live in a country where I can call a wanker a wanker and not think I may get shot :-)

But you might get stabbed.  Just becasue you do not have guns in your country does bot mean that you do not have violent crime.  If guns are outlawed then other things replace them.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Quoting CatRose15:

Apparently MLK Jr. and Ghandi didn't have much impact here with their message of nonviolence. 

Did you know that Ghandi was against banning guns from citizens?

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Fact, drugs are illegal and drugs are the biggest business in the world.  You will not stop guns, they are not that hard to make.  It would still be a thriving black market.  Many people in the ME make their own guns.  It can be done in about 2 hrs.  Not that hard to make the leap to mass production.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting treehugger823:

Hmm. Well my thought is, criminals will have guns regardless of if they're legal. If we make guns illegal, only criminals will have guns. Law abiding citizens will have no way of defending themselves against said criminals.

MYTH: If you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns.
TRUTH: If you outlaw guns, very few criminals will have guns. In America guns start out legal. Then they enter the black market one way or the other (source). So if you have less legal guns then there will less guns entering the black market and consequently less outlaws owning guns. Think about it. Nations with very strict gun control laws such as the UK, Australia, and Japan have much lower gun crime rates than the US. The most probable explanation for this is that criminals in the US have much greater access to guns due to less gun control. Saying "If you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns" is very misleading and completely absurd. If you outlaw guns, less outlaws will have guns. Would you rather have more or less outlaws owning guns? The answer is obvious.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM

All regulations for purchasing a gun apply at a gun show.  That is a total lie. 

Quoting PamR:

So since criminals can always get guns on the black market, we should throw away any thought of trying to make sure that the people who legally purchase guns, go through a thorough background check, that their mental health be considered, that their criminal history be a factor?  Why can people purchase guns without any background check at a gun show?  Does that make sense to anyone? 

Erimar23
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM

5. It's a good idea to own a gun at home because a gun is more likely to be used to kill a friend or family member rather than a criminal.

the reason for that foolishness b/c the gun is not put away right and careful....I have two guns in my home and they are put away safely....my children don't even know we have guns in here or where it's located

Ask me a stupid question and you'll get a smart ass answer, get the hell over it and stop bitchin cuz you asked for it!!

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Something we agree on :)  Yes Guns are very easy to make as long as you have the black powder for your load.  .

Quoting Carpy:

Fact, drugs are illegal and drugs are the biggest business in the world.  You will not stop guns, they are not that hard to make.  It would still be a thriving black market.  Many people in the ME make their own guns.  It can be done in about 2 hrs.  Not that hard to make the leap to mass production.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting treehugger823:

MYTH: If you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns.
TRUTH: If you outlaw guns, very few criminals will have guns. In America guns start out legal. Then they enter the black market one way or the other (source). So if you have less legal guns then there will less guns entering the black market and consequently less outlaws owning guns. Think about it. Nations with very strict gun control laws such as the UK, Australia, and Japan have much lower gun crime rates than the US. The most probable explanation for this is that criminals in the US have much greater access to guns due to less gun control. Saying "If you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns" is very misleading and completely absurd. If you outlaw guns, less outlaws will have guns. Would you rather have more or less outlaws owning guns? The answer is obvious.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)