Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Irish I was drunk...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM
  • 22 Replies

NEW YORK (CBS 2) – There’s outrage over t-shirts that some say unfairly stereotypes the Irish.

Two t-shirts are no longer being sold in Old Navy stores. One reads “Irish I was drunk,” and the other reads “Party like you’re Irish’ with Snoopy holding a mug that says root beer.

Reaction to the t-shirts was mixed.

“I could definitely see how some people could be offended. I’m not personally offended by it,” said Kristin O’Leary.

“Can’t you find another way to sell t-shirts than intimating they’re all drunks?” complained Keith Wilson of the Bronx.

When CBS 2 contacted Old Navy’s parent company Gap about the shirts, a spokeswoman said:  “We recognize these t-shirts went too far and we sincerely apologize to the Irish community for any offense caused. We are removing all units from the stores and online as soon as physically possible.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/08/old-navy-cans-irish-t-shirts/

DO YOU FIND THIS OFFENSIVE? I cannot post the pic my computer at work has blocked that funcion. But if someone could post it, that would be great! =)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rnjMOM
by Rachel on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Personally, I am 3/4 Irish and I do not find this offensive. I would totally rock one.

bananahammock1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM

lol no I wouldnt be offended and Im part Irish.. I think is funny!

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I'm part Irish and I think it's funny. 

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM

my hubbie is 100% Irish and I know he would think they were funny.

OneToughMami
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Well...considering I am partially Irish...and I do NOT drink...I do find the stereotype not offensive but more annoying. The second I answer the question "What are you" with Irish, Spanish, and German...automatically I am a big drinker to people and really it ain't right. A company like Old Navy could find a better way to represent my grandfather's culture lol

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I'd be irritated if they were selling them in kid's sizes...

News flash: Old Navy was not the first group to insinuate the Irish love the drink.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I'm sure they were being marketed for St. Patrick's Day..not exactly a religious celebration in the US!

OneToughMami
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I'd be irritated if they were selling them in kid's sizes...

News flash: Old Navy was not the first group to insinuate the Irish love the drink.

Yeah...but the joke is getting a little old ;-)

Love your hate, your faith lost. You are now one of us.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Quoting OneToughMami:

Well...considering I am partially Irish...and I do NOT drink...I do find the stereotype not offensive but more annoying. The second I answer the question "What are you" with Irish, Spanish, and German...automatically I am a big drinker to people and really it ain't right. A company like Old Navy could find a better way to represent my grandfather's culture lol

My husband's Irish and German... and he never drinks. So I know what you're going through.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Quoting Woodbabe:

I'm sure they were being marketed for St. Patrick's Day..not exactly a religious celebration in the US!

I've always been told that the Irish don't celebrate it much, either. My college roommate is Irish. Mexicans don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo, either.... these are just excuses to drink heavily (as if I needed one).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)