Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slain in the spirit..

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM
  • 22 Replies

I am attending revivial this week and ive seen alot of "slain" in the spirit this week...  Its confusing.. and last night I was touched on the head and I just stood there... I opened my in just a few minutes there and just started watching it again... I think some were just falling out because others were... I would like to talk to some of them about it.. but im worried of offending ... I think im just gonna keep watching... What say you.... ever seen this done?

~kelly

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Redteux
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Personally?

I think a lot of these charismatic "trends" are just emotional posturing, for lack of a better word.

Now, I'm not saying that someone can't be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit.  But I'm very critical of these types of practices.

bakebiscotti
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM
Overly emotional, too quick to succumb to the power of suggestion and group mentality
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Bamaborn_
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Its really confusing to me..  I feel the move of the Lord in many ways.. but some of the stuff I see in these services makes me wonder about the people..  I seen a little boy last night.. hes 5.. and he just fell back and laid there.. They was falling all over the place.. I just have a hard time buying it...

Quoting Redteux:

Personally?

I think a lot of these charismatic "trends" are just emotional posturing, for lack of a better word.

Now, I'm not saying that someone can't be overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit.  But I'm very critical of these types of practices.

-LucyInTheSky-
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Quoting bakebiscotti:

Overly emotional, too quick to succumb to the power of suggestion and group mentality

This.

I attended an evangelical church once where the pastor was trying to slay everyone or whatever you call it. He tapped my head and I just stood there so he he reached out to tap my head again but instead he tried to push me a little too. I found the whole experience rather odd.

~Is it, then, possible, to reach the heart of the Qur’an merely by reading its words, without ever stepping upon the battlefield of faith and disbelief, of Islam and ignorance, without passing through any stage of the struggle? No, you can understand the Qur’an only when you take it up, begin to act upon it, and call mankind to God, and when every step you take is in obedience to its guidance.~ Syed al-Maududi

American Muslims Admin - Questions about Islam? Join us!!

One Love, Many Paths Admin - Bully-free zone for women of all faiths!

Sweetfairy28
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I have been to Pentecostal churches where they speak in tongues, shake and run around the church. I don't know if that's the same. I had to go because my foster parents made me. I can say I rarely slept in that church.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I have seen one and I agree!

Quoting bakebiscotti:

im pflagIf you are gay, know or love a gay~ show your true colors and support them!gay pride ribbon

diandradawn
by Diandra on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM

The Catholic church I attended did something like this on retreats. They called it Resting in the Spirit. I remember it being so powerful and almost magical. Yes, I fell as did the rest of the teens I was with.

Years later, talking to my girlfriends from back then, we all agreed that we think it was more about doing what was expected of us than succumbing to God.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Those "slain in the spirit" are actors hired by the "healer."

To be fair, some people are so suggestable and so willing to please and to be filled with "the holy spirit," and too polite not to fall when the "healer" touches them that they unwillingly and without forethought, perform as expected.  The "healers" know this and take advantage of human nature.

I generally avoid religious discussion out of an unwillingness to offend, but I trust you to know I'm not trying to put down your faith merely because I've been honest.

As in all well-intentioned entities or groups, there will always be those predatory-type people who take advantage of the true-believers for personal gain.

_Bamaborn_
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

See I feel like that too.. There are alot of teens at our church.. and they have been doing that over the course of the week..  If its gonna happen to me I want it to be of God and not of being pressured to believing im being "slain" if that makes sense... I would have hate to get so much from a service and then get in the truck and think... I had just faked something.. ):   Im probably not making sense... ): As usual its giving me alot to pray and think about...

Quoting diandradawn:

The Catholic church I attended did something like this on retreats. They called it Resting in the Spirit. I remember it being so powerful and almost magical. Yes, I fell as did the rest of the teens I was with.

Years later, talking to my girlfriends from back then, we all agreed that we think it was more about doing what was expected of us than succumbing to God.

bakebiscotti
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM
That's what I think happens. Teens are so open to suggestion. I am kind of glad that the Church has backtracked on this a bit in the last few years. Hell, I can't even stand when someone tries to hold my hand during the Our Father

Quoting diandradawn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)