Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant Woman given Abortion Drug by Mistake.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM
  • 27 Replies

A first-time mother might lose her unborn child after her Colorado pharmacy mistakenly sent her home with an abortion pill instead of the antibiotic her doctor prescribed her.

Mareena Silva, who is six months pregnant, received the incorrect prescription drug last Thursday. “I took it because I thought it was mine,” Silva told Denver’s local ABC affiliate.

But after she began to feel nauseous, a closer examination of the pill bottle revealed the medicine was actually not hers. “I came back and I looked at the bottle and it wasn’t my name,” she said.

“My doctor immediately told me to try and make myself vomit to see if I could get the medicine to come back up,” Silva recalled. She was then rushed to the hospital where doctors gave her charcoal to try and absorb as much of the digested drug as possible.

Silva received the mistaken drug from her local Safeway pharmacy which has since issued an apology for the error. “We are also very concerned about how this happened and we are conducting a full and complete investigation,” the store said in a statement. “Safeway has pharmacy systems and processes in place to prevent this kind of occurrence. We have a well-earned reputation for reliably and safely filling prescriptions, and we will continue to work diligently to ensure our procedures and policies are being followed at each of our pharmacies.”

But Silva says “Sorry’s not going to cut it.”

“I’m going to have to deal with this for a long time,” she says. “My baby could have deformities. There’s a lot that goes with it.”

Medical physicians are closely monitoring her bloodwork, but warn she may miscarry or the child could be born with severe birth defects. There is a chance, however, she could have a happy, healthy baby.

For now, all Silva and doctors can do is wait and see.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pharmacy-mistakenly-gives-pregnant-woman-abortion-pill/

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Bamaborn_
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I heard about this...): awful... cant imagine the torture her mind is going through over the thought ...

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM
This is just horrid. Of all drugs that could have gotten mixed up - wow, this is just some of the rottenest luck I've ever heard!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM

My friend posted this on FB.... her complaint was that pills like this are easier to get than Sudafed.

I would be devastated if this happened to me. I'd like to think I could be more careful and have a strange enough name that I wouldn't encounter a mix-up like this. But this poor woman didn't deserve this.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Anyone have a link for the story that is not from beck's site?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I would like to know What pill she got.

Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM

On one side, I think that the pharmacist should be held responsible for the murder of her child if the baby does die, and should pay for the child if it has any issues AT ALL, but should have to pay something for her heartache. 

I would want to see him in prison if my child died from that 'mix up' their entire career is based on them controlling medications. There is never an excuse for an error like this. What happened to checking their birthdate and name? Ive never been given a medication from a pharmacy or hospital even without them asking my birthdate and name again.

Della529
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

This is sad.  I'm sorry this happened.

I check our prescription bottles and look online to make sure the pills in the bottle are the correct medicine.

Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I would like to know What pill she got.

I can look. It is a "cancer drug" as well as used for terminating a pregnancy.

Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Quoting Della529:

This is sad.  I'm sorry this happened.

I check our prescription bottles and look online to make sure the pills in the bottle are the correct medicine.

I do agree she should have checked the bottle, but this is a pharmacists entire job. That is all they do. Handle medication and are payed to control them. I understand why she trusted they knew what they were doing.

conweis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

That is terrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)