Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14 yr old rape victim killed for her crime....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM
  • 40 Replies

I try to be extremely open to other cultures and their beliefs but this boggles the mind. Will someone please explain the reasoning behind situations like this? Why is the child that was raped by her own family member ordered to be given 100 lashes?

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=172669

Govt asked to explain failure to stop fatwa

HC gives Shariatpur admin 15 days to tell why it could not save life of 14-year-old rape victim

The High Court yesterday ordered district officials in Shariatpur to explain why they failed to protect 14-year-old rape victim Hena from being whipped to death as per a fatwa on Monday.

The deputy commissioner, the superintendent of police of Shariatpur and the thana nirbahi officer of Naria upazila -- where the incident took place--will have to report to the HC in 15 days how it happened although the court (HC) had eight months ago declared fatwa illegal and a punishable offence.

In a suo moto rule, the HC directed them also to report what steps they have taken in this regard.

An HC bench comprised of Justice AHM Shamsuddin Chowdhury Manik and Justice Sheikh Md Zakir Hossain issued the rule following press reports on the killing of Hena.

The reports said Hena was raped by her 40-year-old relative Mahbub on Sunday. Next day, a fatwa was announced at a village arbitration that she must be given 100 lashes. She fell unconscious after nearly 80 lashes.

Fatally injured Hena was rushed to Naria health complex where she succumbed to her injuries.

Ain O Salish Kendra (ASK), a human rights watchdog, expressed deep concern and shock yesterday at the killing of teenage rape victim Hena.

It demanded punitive action against those who enforced fatwa concerning her.

The ASK called upon the government to take effective steps to stop recurrence of such incidents.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tharealty2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I hate hearing about things like this, and I hate hearing people say this is not a commonly accepted thing unique to some cultures.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Why would SHE be lashed and not the man that raped her? I am confused.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Quoting tharealty2:

I hate hearing about things like this, and I hate hearing people say this is not a commonly accepted thing unique to some cultures.

I would prefer to believe this only happens with extremists but I'm sincerely curious what the beliefs/laws are that make this reality.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

conweis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM

WTF the 40 year old male should ahve been beaten to death not the innocent child. I think everyone who participated in the fatwa should be beaten too.

tharealty2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

It is common in some cultures for the rape victim to be punished.

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM
This breaks my heart. Honestly, anyone involved needs to be whipped to death as well...just make sure to draw out the sentence onn her rapist
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM

so am I, how does that even make sense?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Where was this supposed to have happened? And what news source is The Daily Star? I feel a Shenanigans coming on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Quoting tharealty2:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

It is common in some cultures for the rape victim to be punished.

Punished for what? What did she do that is worthy of punishment?

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM

This makes no sense. What country did it happen in?

In Islam the man who raped her should be killed. The only people who are supposed to be lashed are those that willingly consent to sex outside of marriage, who either have 4 eye witnesses to the penetration (doesn't ever happen) or confess to authorities. Rape is not a willing act so I don't understand why any more harm would be brought to the girl.

What a terrible thing to happen to her.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)