Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Couple Charged With Locking Girl in Bathroom for 6 Years

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM
  • 4 Replies

An Ohio couple is in jail facing charges they kept a 9-year-old girl locked in their bathroom for six years, letting her out only to go to school and for special occasions, the Dayton Daily News reports.

Brian G. Hart, 50, and his wife Rivae L. Hart, 49, told Dayton police they started locking her up when she was 3 years old because she had behavioral problems. A psychologist who examined her at that age reportedly said her behavior was normal.

Sgt. Larry Tolpin told the Dayton Daily News that the girl's development is normal for a fourth-grader, despite being kept in the bathroom, which was blocked by two dressers. Inside, she slept on a cot with a blanket but no pillow. Authorities say they believe the last time she was allowed out of the bathroom for a reason other than school was in 2007.

"Meals were inconsistent at best, and basically the living conditions were deplorable," Tolpin said.

The girl is the granddaughter of Rivae Hart, and the couple are her legal guardians. Her captivity came to light after she told a school nurse about her living conditions. The victim and three other children who lived in the apartment -- the girl's brother and the couple's biological children -- have been placed in foster care.

The Harts were indicted Feb. 4 on kidnapping and felony child-endangering charges.

Read more at the Dayton Daily News.

Disclaimer: Diabetes makes me an asshole!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kara_thrace
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Bump!

OhiogirlinCali
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM

That poor girl :(  I hope she can overcome any damage that has been done and can live a happy life from here on out....

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM

This is revolting. "Parents" like these make me sick.  

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM

People are sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)