Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

After Obama lunch GOP leaders promise cooperation

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM
  • 19 Replies

After Obama lunch GOP leaders promise cooperation

AP
By ERICA WERNER, Associated Press Erica Werner, Associated Press - 10 mins ago

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and the top three House GOP leaders met Wednesday for the first time since Republicans assumed control of the House, agreeing to work together on issues ranging from trade to spending cuts, both sides said.

House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and House GOP Whip Kevin McCarthy struck an upbeat, cooperative tone on their way out of the White House lunch, even though fierce battles are brewing over the GOP's plans to cut spending on areas like education and high-speed rail that the president wants to boost.

"It was a very good lunch and we're able to find enough common ground, I think, to show the American people that we're willing to work on their behalf and willing to do it together," Boehner, R-Ohio, told reporters outside the White House. He mentioned education, tax policy, trade, "or even cutting spending" as areas of potential cooperation.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs largely echoed the Republicans' account.

"He thought it was very constructive . that they agreed on cutting spending and reducing our deficit," Gibbs said, "that we should have a broad discussion about with the American people the size and the scope of the problem that we face getting our fiscal house in order."

No specific agreements were reached, though. Gibbs cautioned that Wednesday's meeting wasn't a negotiation session and there was a "long discussion" still to be had.

The pledges of cooperation will soon be tested. Obama and the House leaders met not long after House Republicans unveiled $35 billion in budget cuts including in areas such as education aid and infrastructure that Obama wants to increase. Gibbs signaled the president's opposition.

"There's broad agreement that we have to change the way Washington works, particularly as it relates to spending0110209/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_republicans&h2=T&h3=519" mce_href="http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto/?prop=news&locale=us&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.yahoo.com%2Fs%2Fap%2F20110209%2Fap_on_re_us%2Fus_obama_republicans&title=After+Obama+lunch+GOP+leaders+promise+cooperation+-+Yahoo%21+News&h1=ap/20110209/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_republicans&h2=T&h3=519">Email

• Print
  • John Boehner AP - House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio, center, arrives for a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, ...
    • President Barack Obama
    by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    parrishsky
    by Maxfield on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Not holding my breath.

rfurlongg
    by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Quoting parrishsky:

Not holding my breath.

me neither.

wenchmommy381
    by Wenchy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Give me food and I'll always be more agreeable...

valbeasley
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM

aint gonna happen. promises promises.

Friday
    by HRH of MJ on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

resamerie
    by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I find it funny that now, Obama and the Dems are all for compromise since they no longer hold all the cards. I didn't see any compromise when they were ramming through one bill after another.

sweet-a-kins
    by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Like the repubs did from 2000-2006?

Quoting resamerie:

I find it funny that now, Obama and the Dems are all for compromise since they no longer hold all the cards. I didn't see any compromise when they were ramming through one bill after another.

SxyMartini
    by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM

What they weren't going to feed them unless they promised to work together?

rfurlongg
    by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM

hmmm. aren't we a cynical bunch? lol!

cjsbmom
    by Lois Lane on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    I'll join you in your skepticism.

Quoting parrishsky:

Not holding my breath.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)