Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"It's the greatest untold story of American history,"

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
Navajo Code Talkers honored
February 9th, 2011 @ 1:57pm
By Amanda Verzello

SALT LAKE CITY -- Two of the last surviving World War II Navajo Code Talkers appeared before the Utah Legislature Wednesday. Lawmakers honored them with a resolution recognizing their service.

The resolution urges U.S. Congress, among other government bodies, "to support and preserve the Navajo Code Talkers remarkable legacy."

The Navajo Code Talkers received their name for the unbreakable code they created during World War II from their native language.

Out of the 400 code talkers, fewer than 50 are still living. "We meet a lot of important people, but it's not every day we get to meet a hero," Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said.

"They saved many, many, many lives during World War II," said the bill's chief sponsor, Rep. Christine Watkins, D-Price.

HJR9's sponsor in the Senate, Sen. David Hinkins, R-Orangeville, said the code talkers returned home after the war as heroes, but military security restrictions prevented them from receiving a hero's welcome until more than 20 years later.

"It's the greatest untold story of American history," he said.

The surviving code talkers are currently undertaking a multi-year project to create a memorial museum and visitor center near the Four Corners area. The memorial will include on-site lodging for visitors and veterans and will be a hub of cultural reinforcement for the Navajo community.

The museum and visitor center will cost an estimated $42 million, with $10 million needed to start the first phase of construction. Federal funding will be needed to complete the project, Hinkins said.

The visiting code talkers were scheduled to meet with Gov. Gary Herbert after stopping by the Legislature.

E-mail: mailto:averzello@desnews.com

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:26 PM
My Mom told me about this when I was young, a truely amazing story
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadowladie01
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM

BUMP!

Redteux
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I wouldn't say it was an "untold" story, but it's definitely not as recognized as it should be.

Good for them.  They most certainly should be recognized and honored for their service.

Especially considering the history.  It's not like the US had been very kind to them.  It's the least we can do.

Mandipants
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Quoting Redteux:

I wouldn't say it was an "untold" story, but it's definitely not as recognized as it should be.

Good for them.  They most certainly should be recognized and honored for their service.

Especially considering the history.  It's not like the US had been very kind to them.  It's Tthe least we can do.

This.

rfurlongg
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM
This

Quoting Redteux:

Especially considering the history.  It's not like the US had been very kind to them.  It's the least we can do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:44 PM

:D I know a little Navajo, My friend is from Mexican Hat!

I learned about it in school....but then again my school honored veterans in a huge way. No one wanted to be sick on Veterans day or you'd miss Living History Day. 

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:53 PM

There was a movie a few years ago with Nicholas Cage and it was about "The Code Talkers" ...what they did was AMAZING and they saved many lives! It's sad that theywere not able for safety and security reasons to talk about what they had done,and that not all are still here to see the appreciation ...one can only hope and pray that those left and the families of all of them know how blessed we are by the gift they gave of their language.

KC33
by Kim on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Quoting cjsix:

There was a movie a few years ago with Nicholas Cage and it was about "The Code Talkers" ...what they did was AMAZING and they saved many lives! It's sad that theywere not able for safety and security reasons to talk about what they had done,and that not all are still here to see the appreciation ...one can only hope and pray that those left and the families of all of them know how blessed we are by the gift they gave of their language.

I saw the movie and it was an amazing part of WW2 and you stated that beautifully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)