Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Planned Parenthood - Funding?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM
  • 11 Replies

PPFA is a federation of 85 independent Planned Parenthood affiliates around the United States. These affiliates together operate more than 820 health centers in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Together, they are the largest family planning provider in the United States with over four million activists, supporters and donors. They serve over five million clients a year, 26% of which are teenagers under the age of 19.

Services provided at locations include contraceptives (birth control); emergency contraception; screening for breast, cervical and testicular cancers; pregnancy testing and pregnancy options counseling; testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases; comprehensive sexuality education, menopause treatments; vasectomies, tubal ligations, and abortion.

The largest of these facilities, a $26 million, 78,000-square-foot (7,200 m2) structure was completed in Houston, Texas in May 2010. This serves as a headquarters for 12 clinics in Texas and Louisiana. 

Planned Parenthood is the nation's leading sexual and reproductive health care advocate and provider. In 2008, they reported that contraception constituted 35% of total services, STI/STD testing and treatment constituted 34%, cancer testing and screening constituted 17%; and other women's health procedures, including pregnancy, prenatal, midlife, and infertility were 10%. Less than 2% of visits involve abortions  

In the 2007-08 Annual Report, clinic income totaled $374.7 million and miscellaneous operating revenues $68.9 million. Approximately two-thirds of the revenue is put towards the provision of health services, while non-medical services such as sex education and public policy work make up another 16%; management expenses, fundraising, and international family planning programs account for most of the rest.   

Planned Parenthood receives about a third of its money in government grants and contracts ($349.6 million in the 2008 fiscal year). By law, Planned Parenthood cannot allocate any federal funding for abortions. 

Planned Parenthood is also funded by private donors, with a membership base of over 700,000 active donors whose contributions account for approximately one quarter of the organization's revenue.  

Health of the Baby   

For a couple who was actively trying to conceive, finding out their baby will be born with a serious birth defect can be a devastating experience. Amniocentesis, usually performed between 14 and 20 weeks, can detect a variety of chromosome abnormalities, neural tube defects, and genetic disorders. The accuracy of amniocentesis findings is thought to be 99.4 percent. Some parents choose to undergo the procedure because they want to be prepared if they will be having a baby with a medical complication, while others want to be able to decide if the pregnancy should be terminated. 

Some of the conditions that can be detected via amniocentesis include:   

• Down Syndrome
  • Trisomy 18
  • Spina Bifida
  • Muscular Dystrophy
  • Cystic Fibrosis
  • Sickle Cell Disease
  • Tay-Sachs
  • Anencephaly
  • Mother’s drug addiction  

Health of the Mother  

Although most women are able to successfully carry a pregnancy to term with no risk to their own health, there are some women who have medical conditions that make it difficult or dangerous to give birth. When faced with a pregnancy under these circumstances, abortion is one option that may be considered. 

Examples of some of the conditions that can complicate a pregnancy include: 

• Cancer
  • Heart disease
  • Diabetes
  • Autoimmune disorders
  • HIV
  • AIDS
  • Certain other sexually transmitted diseases
  • Ectopic pregnancy

Abortions done to preserve the mental health of the mother, such as when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest, may also be classified as one of the valid medical reasons for abortion. Women who choose to have abortions when the pregnancy is the result of an abusive relationship may also be considered to fall into this category.   

It should be noted that while some of the birth defects listed above are medically classified as "incompatible with life," others are not. This means that the decision whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term must consider what type of life the child will be able to lead as he or she grows. Balancing quality of life concerns with the desire to begin or expand one's family is never easy. 

I tried to add a poll put I guess I'm doing something wrong. 

Les - Farmington, UT

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Bull.  33% of the country's abortions are facilitated at PP. And a third of the funding they receive goes for abortions. 

SxyMartini
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM

We talked about this several times last week.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM

AND a huge percentage of the recipients of abortions are black---just they way good ol' Margaret Sanger wanted it. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Quoting SxyMartini:

We talked about this several times last week.

Yes, and I was sickened to see so little regard for human life. 

Les1951
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Did not intend to start another tirade.  Just wanted to share some facts and food for thought.  If less than 2% of the foundations procedures are related to abortion, it seem that is relatively low in comparison to all the other benefits that they provide.  The government grants are not suppose to go to abortion.  The argument here is that with the grants going to their other procedures it frees up money from other contributors to pay for abortion. 

I've seen nothing that says that 33% of the countries abortions are faciliated at PP nor have I seen any statics on whether or not these were medically necessary or what the ethnic breakdown is. 

I was just tired of all the posts that seemed to be nothing more than to incite.  So I wanted to share just some of the information I read and I always try to use sources that were not bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_Parenthood_Federation_of_America

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Bull.  33% of the country's abortions are facilitated at PP. And a third of the funding they receive goes for abortions. 

What I highlighted in red, you state as fact.  Please provide your source.

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
Bean1980
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Bump!

Thank you for this post. Maybe it will make more understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bean1980
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:46 PM
Who cares what the percentage of abortions is. The number of other services they provide to save PEOPLE who maybe parents or someone's child outnumbers abortions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Les1951
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Quoting Bean1980:

Bump!

Thank you for this post. Maybe it will make more understand.

Thanks, and thanks for the bump.  The reason I wanted to post this was to give those who are uninformed some information.  I should have known that there are those who don't want to be confused with the facts, their mind is made up.  After all their source of information is from  Fox and friends, no bias there.

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)