Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does Yoga coflict with Christianity ? Or does it?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM
  • 44 Replies

For me, as a Christian, to truly practice eastern arts would be in conflict with one important tenet of my faith.   No, two.  Firstly the premise of the power within is direct conflict with what I believe about entering a relationship with Christ. Secondly the concept of balance creates another conflict.  I believe that good is more powerful than evil and the concept of Yin yang does not at all represent what I hold as true.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Forget-me-not
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM
Explain how practicing an eastern art conflicts with your faith because I'm lost considering one of my close friends is a pastor and him and his wife do yoga regularly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
V.Dubbya
by Valley on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM
It depends on what level you practice it. If your at the depth of the spiritual then maybe there's a conflict. However if your just breathing and stretching your body into different poses then I don't see the conflict. You get out what you put in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
40isfun
by Christi on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM

So are you saying you can't believe in your own power AND have a relationship with Christ?

I believe good is more powerful than evil too.  But I think yin and yang is about the balance of the universe, not what is more powerful. The concept of yin and yang recognizes that opposites exist BECAUSE of each other.  Without bad, there can be no good. Without up there would be no down. Without in there would be no out. How could you go out if there was no in?  Those things are all relative to each other.

40isfun
by Christi on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Quoting V.Dubbya:

It depends on what level you practice it. If your at the depth of the spiritual then maybe there's a conflict. However if your just breathing and stretching your body into different poses then I don't see the conflict. You get out what you put in.

I see you...

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Quoting V.Dubbya:

I agree with you.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM

If you are totally immersed in yoga practice, you are practicing another religion. If you are doing americanized yoga, you're simply stretching, etc. 

Think like this.....if you are christian, you're just circumcizing. If you are jewish, you are practicing religious beliefs, ceremony, etc. Are you just clipping, or are you submerging in all that God wanted? 

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Hmm.  I believe that Christs is the power I am to place faith in and find comfort and peace in.  I do not believe there is a balance.  I believe withi the presence of the Lord, which we are removed from, there is pure righteous good, unadulterated.

Quoting 40isfun:

So are you saying you can't believe in your own power AND have a relationship with Christ?

I believe good is more powerful than evil too.  But I think yin and yang is about the balance of the universe, not what is more powerful. The concept of yin and yang recognizes that opposites exist BECAUSE of each other.  Without bad, there can be no good. Without up there would be no down. Without in there would be no out. How could you go out if there was no in?  Those things are all relative to each other.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Quoting EireLass:

If you are totally immersed in yoga practice, you are practicing another religion. If you are doing americanized yoga, you're simply stretching, etc. 

Think like this.....if you are christian, you're just circumcizing. If you are jewish, you are practicing religious beliefs, ceremony, etc. Are you just clipping, or are you submerging in all that God wanted? 

*like* for your analogy.

Shellness
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM

God DID give us power from within....

Phillipians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM

And trying to claim it as our own, failing to acknowledge Him, would be wrong, right?

Quoting Shellness:

God DID give us power from within....

Phillipians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)