Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Ugly Face of the Unions

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • 0 Replies

So I will agree some unions are F^&*(ED up and do more harm than good. Many unions are need and still do a job that is needed.

My mom worked as an autoworker and her employer went around and told all the employees how they would take care of them. How they did not need the union and they would make sure their employees were not laid off or have their pays cut. So the union was voted down (yes you do get to vote for these things) and guess what the company turned around and screwed their employees. They forced them to use their vacation days to get 40 hours and they cut pay. Then they offered buy outs promising not to fight and then they fought the unemployeement. Thank god they cared about the works hate to know what would have happened had the not cared.

I also worked for a unionized grocery store - we have 30 minute lunch breaks and 2 15 minute paids breaks. We had part time and full time healthcare after a year and we were treated very well. The only thing that sucked where the managers which had nothing to do with the unions. They played favorites but never did anything "wrong".

Now unions can also be bad their were union workers who voted down a 5% pay cut here and decided to take the firing. So yea they were all fired lost their jobs but they voted for it like all the unions I have known of and dealt with the employees where the ones with the last choice.

I am not sure if people want us to go back to before unions or what they expect. I remember and learned about what it was like before unions though - I am pretty sure it sucked.

Are you a feminist? Not sure what a feminist is? Have questions about feminism? Come Join us in the Feminist Mamas group.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112962

rock n roll

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)