Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

94 Georgia lawmakers back ‘birther' bill

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM
  • 22 Replies

A House Republican this week – backed by 93 other lawmakers – proposed a law that would force presidential and vice presidential candidates to prove their citizenship before landing on the Georgia ballot.

House Bill 401 would not allow a candidate on the ballot until the Secretary of State receives “adequate evidence of such person’s eligibility for election” to those offices. The bill’s sponsor is Mark Hatfield, R-Waycross, but has huge backing with other GOP members.

“I think the issue with our sitting president has been left unresolved for a significant length of time that people have concerns,” Hatfield said. “But this is not just about our current president. It’s about enforcing the constitutional provisions for anyone who seeks the office of presidency.”

The proposal is a slight change from a similar bill from Hatfield last year. That bill would have required presidential candidates in Georgia to file an affidavit swearing to be a natural-born citizen.

Both measures are inspired by the “birther” movement that believes President Barack Obama was not born in the United States. The claim has been widely disproved when Hawaii released records of Obama’s birth, but it remains a popular sentiment among some factions.

Hatfield said he describes himself as a Constitutionalist not a “birther” but believes that evidence of Obama’s birth has never been made public.

“We’ve seen a computer-generated summary of a live birth but not the particulars of his birth on a long form,” Hatfield said. “Congress has never created an enforcement mechanism, so it is up to the states to step up and fill the gap.”

One Republican name attached to Hatfield’s proposal  is Rep. Bobby Franklin. The Marietta Republican pre-filed House Bill 37, which calls for each party to list original documentation that their candidate for president is eligible to serve. That proposal is before the Judiciary Committee.

Hatfield’s proposal is slated to appear before a Government Affairs subcommittee at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

If the measure passes both houses of the General Assembly, it would fall to Gov. Nathan Deal to sign into law.

Deal, a Republican, was criticized last year for dabbling in conspiracy theories that Obama is not a natural-born citizen.

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/94-georgia-lawmakers-back-857095.html

While I do not see the afadavit doing a thing because that is close to what is already done, I think actual proof could prevent future incident like we have seen with this term.

Does anyone have a problem in having all candidates provide proof of citizenship?

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.jillybean.
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

When you go in for a job interview or do get a new job, they require you to show your proof of citizenship/residency; to prove you are here legally. 

In this sense, we the people are the boss of the president. He's working for us. Makes sense for him and other politicians to provide us with proof of citizenship.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I believe a couple of other states have already done this

Quoting .jillybean.:

When you go in for a job interview or do get a new job, they require you to show your proof of citizenship/residency; to prove you are here legally. 

In this sense, we the people are the boss of the president. He's working for us. Makes sense for him and other politicians to provide us with proof of citizenship.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM

The same ones that approve of miscarriage being investigated as pre-natal murder??

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Same state. But what do you think about requiring the proof of citizenship?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The same ones that approve of miscarriage being investigated as pre-natal murder??

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

They already do

and their lies,I mean reasons...are STUPID and discriminatory at best

This is just another The POTUS isn't "one of us" bills

Where are the JOBS bills?

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM

All that is required is a sworn statement by a member of the political party. You have to prove more than that to get your drivers license. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

They already do

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

AMBG825
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Wait, I thought you didn't have to be born in the U.S. to hold a government position other than POTUS. I was under the impression that state level politicians had a less stringent standard. Michigan's Granholme was born in Canada and we all know about Swartznegger (sp?) and his roots.

I think the whole thing is useless.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Not so, The POTUS is given the highest security clearance (despite what that NUT Allen West says) he is fully vetted by the CIA

Quoting stormcris:

All that is required is a sworn statement by a member of the political party. You have to prove more than that to get your drivers license. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

They already do

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Shouldn't they be more focused on the jobs?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Connor 3

sineado39
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM
Where are the jobs?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)