Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This kid is not playing!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM
  • 18 Replies

His parents say that his issues began as an oxygen deprived infant, a"blue baby".  What do you think, is it an excuse, a reason or do you think its just a sad coincidence?  There is a video available HERE

Tearful hearing in dump-truck chase case

Suicide attempt follows teen's arrest in dump-truck chase, father says

Judge to consider whether Stow 17-year-old should be tried as adult

By Ed Meyer
Beacon Journal staff writer

Ed Meyer can be reached at 330-996-3784 or emeyer@thebeaconjournal.com.

This stolen dump truck was driven by a 17-year-old suspect during a 52.5 mile chase by police from Stow to Tuscarawas County. (Stow Police Department)

An outpouring of emotions ended a Summit County juvenile court hearing Tuesday for the Stow teen accused of damaging multiple police and civilian vehicles after stealing a dump truck from an excavation company.

The teen's father, Donald L. Jiles, broke down on the witness stand and spent the final few minutes of his testimony weeping as he described his visit with his 17-year-old son, Joshua, at the county's juvenile detention center soon after his Dec. 4 arrest.

''He walked around like a caged animal. He was mad. He was scared,'' Jiles said, barely able to get out the words.

He said a suicide attempt in Joshua Jiles' cell, where he passed out for several minutes after hanging from the cell's sink with a T-shirt, was the next blow.

''As a parent,'' Don Jiles said, ''it just destroys you when you see your child doesn't want to live anymore.''

The hearing before Juvenile Court Judge Linda Tucci Teodosio will determine whether the teen is amenable to treatment and rehabilitation in the state's juvenile justice system, or whether his case is transferred to adult court for felony prosecution.

Defense lawyers asked for a continuance for the upcoming testimony of one remaining witness, the director of pediatric psychiatry and psychology at Akron Children's Hospital, and Teodosio granted it.

Dr. Stephen Cosby is scheduled to testify Monday afternoon when the case wraps up with closing arguments.

Teodosio will then issue a written decision determining whether the case will remain in juvenile court.

Joshua Jiles, shackled at the ankles as he sat at the defense table, buried his head in his outstretched arms and cried as his father ended his testimony.

The teen, who did not testify, is charged with multiple juvenile delinquency counts for felonious assault on a police officer, vandalism, fleeing and eluding, receiving stolen property and driving on a suspended license.

He has been in custody at the detention center on Dan Street since the night of his arrest. Testimony showed that after stealing the truck, Jiles smashed or swerved into three police cruisers and also damaged three civilian vehicles stopped at a traffic light on Fishcreek Road in Stow.

The police chase, much of it captured on police cruiser video, covered some 50 miles.

A woman who runs an insurance agency testified that damage to her BMW sport utility vehicle was $31,000.

A secretary at Woodridge Middle School said damage to her Toyota was $7,200.

A teacher's aide in the Stow-Munroe Falls district said there was $2,100 in damage to her GMC Jimmy SUV.

And, finally, the assistant Stow law director, Amber Kerek, told the judge that the total damage to the three police vehicles was $23,000, with a $1,000 insurance deductible assessed to the city.

Much of the five-hour hearing was taken up by testimony on the history of the teen's many developmental problems, among them severe alcohol dependency; cocaine and marijuana use; and speech and reading difficulties attributable to attention-deficit disorder.

Renee Patten, the teen's mother, said she and Joshua's father, who began divorce proceedings in 2006, both believe the problems started with their son's birth as an oxygen-deficient ''blue baby.''

''Josh has struggled in all areas. I don't think he really had a fair shot,'' Patten testified.

She said none of the medical or psychological professionals who treated her son ever gave the family ''a clear diagnosis'' of what was wrong.

''He's not violent,'' she told the court. ''He's just a troubled child who needs attention and help.''

Thomas Webb, the juvenile court psychologist, began the hearing by saying he too suspected prenatal oxygen deficiency as the root of the problems.

''Substance abuse,'' Webb testified, ''was the current that swept him away.''

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I just wonder if it even matters the boy was trying to commit suicide and apparently had issues all his life. He has an issue somewhere and needs rehab and some other help because jail will do nothing.

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Quoting stormcris:

I just wonder if it even matters the boy was trying to commit suicide and apparently had issues all his life. He has an issue somewhere and needs rehab and some other help because jail will do nothing.

I agree.  I also think that he should make full restitution and that is not done well while in jail.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:26 AM

How does a TEEN have a "severe" addiction to booze?

survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Quoting Radarma:

Well if he has been heavily drinking daily for a period of time it can and unfortunately does happen.

katzmeow726
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM
I think jail would be a mistake. It would only serve to worsen his behavior. Get him in to treatment...intensive inpatient treatment. He still has a chance. If he goes to jail, I think it will be the last straw that will ruin his life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Radarma
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Radarma:

Well if he has been heavily drinking daily for a period of time it can and unfortunately does happen.

It's kinda OT but I cannot help wonder HOW/WHERE does a KID get that amt of alcohol? And in a constant flow...as in, daily.

:(

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Bootleggers and people will buy it for them for an increased price.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Radarma:

It's kinda OT but I cannot help wonder HOW/WHERE does a KID get that amt of alcohol? And in a constant flow...as in, daily.

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
Bennett121
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM
I say put him in boot camp and straighten this kid out now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Radarma:

Some parents even supply it.  I know a few boys who grew up with my son who have been drinking heavily since they were adolescents.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Radarma:

Some parents even supply it.  I know a few boys who grew up with my son who have been drinking heavily since they were adolescents.

That really does blow my mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)