Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"men are working as the heads of their households, while women are just working for the sake of working."

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

Detrix Young, a Wal-Mart employee in Aiken, South Carolina, reports that she sat in a store-wide meeting where one of her female co-workers asked why the men in the store earned more than the women. One of the male managers answered that "men are working as the heads of their households, while women are just working for the sake of working." Another male manager laughed, even though several of the women were single mothers trying to make ends meet on a Wal-Mart paycheck.

Young is one of more than a hundred current and former Wal-Mart employees who submitted declarations to a federal court in support of their joint claim that Wal-Mart ― the nation's largest private employer ― discriminated against women in stores around the country, paying them less than male workers and promoting them less frequently. Later this month, the Supreme Court will hear the case to decide whether the women may bring their claims as a class action, or must bring their cases one at a time. The ACLU, along with the National Women's Law Center and joined by 32 other civil rights organizations, filed a friend-of-the-court brief today supporting the women.

In order to go forward as a class action, the women have to show that the discrimination they experienced has common elements ― that the sexist comments and pay inequity reported by Detrix Young in Aiken, South Carolina had enough in common with women's experiences in Wal-Mart stores around the country to justify hearing the cases together as one.

The evidence presented in the early stages of the case ― including the women's declarations ― shows that the archaic stereotype about women workers that Young described is also reflected in other women's accounts of how managers at Wal-Mart justified women's lower pay. In St. Petersburg, Florida, Ramona Scott reports that her store manager explained that men at Wal-Mart made more than women because "Men are here to make a career and women aren't. Retail is for housewives who just need to earn extra money." In Riverside, California, Stephanie Odle testified that her District Director of Operations explained an apparent gender-based pay inequality by saying that the man in question "supports his wife and his two kids;" her store manager in a Sacramento Sam's Club (a division of Wal-Mart) explained women's unequal pay by saying "Those girls don't need any more money; they make enough as it is." And the list goes on.

full article

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rnjMOM
by Rachel on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

This is just sad. Reality is some men actually do think this way. Unfortunately in my job it is the same mentality. I call it the snake pit filled with double standards and the Good Ole Boys Club. Reality sucks.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

The women in that meeting can ALL go to the higher ups and complain, they can even sue for descrimination and Walmart can end up having to pay them ALL a hefty amount.

daisyrayos
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM
He- man woman haters club... All biys pretending to be men
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Ah, yes, that problem. I had that problem. I was promoted at the same time another man was to the same position... on payday, he usually went and cashed his check through wal mart. I had the joy of cashing his check once and noticed, though he had worked less hours than I had.. he still had the same amount of money that I did... about 600$ paycheck. I had done 47 hours that week... I know he called out once during the week, plus left early once as well... it sucked.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM

A school where I used to work did that too. I think I was bumped up more than other co-workers one year because it was made clear that I was the major wage earner in my family. So I've had it work for me and against me.

Look, if you and your husband agree that one of you is the major wage earner (whichever of you that is), that's fine for your family unit. But places of employment shouldn't have a say in that.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Gender discrimination is alive and well in many places.   It would do these women well to complain to the EEO.., or file suit against Wal-Mart.  Many women are the head of households and really it doesn't matter.   Same job..same salary.  Of course then, they would probably not promote women to deserved positions and keep zippers in those management positions.... regardless if it's Wal-Mart or another business.

babygirlsierra
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM

That's just wrong in all aspects! Not only its disrespecting females, but it's discrimination. What pisses me off is that there is a guy that has little experience in marketing but makes 2 bucks more than I do and yet I have more experience! This is fucked up!

AaliyKattmomof2
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM

just one more reason to hate the evilness of walmart!!

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Who is stupid enough to say that in a meeting?

Funny, I thought I worked to provide health insurance, food, clothing, and pay bills.
pagancuriosity
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I worked for walmart once...biggest mistake ever. I hated hearing the teenage guys brag about how much they were making part time, all the while, I was a college graduate, working full time, making less than they did

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)