Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

JW's are you here? I have a question!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
  • 22 Replies

OK, so I know JW's don't do blood transfusions.

But this may sound stupid and I'm curious..... Do you do surgeries? Like say you need your appendix out or something....can you do it?

Oh and if you have to have a surgery that requires blood....can you donate your own before hand so that if it's needed you can use your own? Oh and do you donate blood in blood drives?

I've been thinking about this for like 3 days now, thought I might as well ask :P 

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:20 PM

When my sister in law, a JW, needed surgery, she banked her own blood a few weeks in advance. 

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

When my sister in law, a JW, needed surgery, she banked her own blood a few weeks in advance. 

LOL well that answered 2 of my questions....what about blood drives/blood donation?

-LucyInTheSky-
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Why don't JW's have blood transfusions?

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM

WHY I don't know.  I only know what my SIL did when she had to have surgery. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

LOL well that answered 2 of my questions....what about blood drives/blood donation?

I would imagine they'd have nothing to do with them if they don't believe in sharing blood. 

-LucyInTheSky-
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

WHY I don't know.  I only know what my SIL did when she had to have surgery. 

Well, I got curious and found an article about it on the watchtower site. Firefox won't let me c/p it though. So I guess it's because of health reasons maybe? I'm gonna keep reading though, I don't really know much about JW's

EDITED- found more articles on the watchtower site

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM
They don't do blood transfusions because of some Bible passage about not consuming blood. Just goes to show the flaws in trying to interpret an ancient book and building a belief system on it.

My dad's wife went back to the JW's and he's sick about it. They have a daughter with Down's Syndrome and several health issues, and she said she would not allow any blood transfusions.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Let's please not turn this into a Jehovah's Witness bash.  There's something to bash about all organized religions.  They are entitled to their beliefs.

JW's do not accept transfused blood because they believe it is wrong to put someone else's blood into your body in any shape or form.  Please just leave it at that.

tericared
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM

So if there is an emergency operation or a bad car wreck, they just die cause they wont take someone else's blood?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Yes.  Although I understand that with certain operations, a tube can be put in in which the patient's blood drains, and then the blood is put back into the patient... minimizing the loss of blood.

Quoting tericared:

So if there is an emergency operation or a bad car wreck, they just die cause they wont take someone else's blood?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)