Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How insensitive can people be?

Posted by   + Show Post

People have been using twitter too much. I can't believe some of the things that people are saying about japan on there via the news channels. 

50 Cent. Gilbert Gottfried. Haley Barbour's press secretary. And now Family Guy scriptwriter Alec Sulkin. They've all made insensitive Twitter remarks about Japan's earthquake disaster.

On Friday, Sulkin, who has written for The Cleveland Showand Craig Ferguson's late night show, tweeted: "If you wanna feel better about this earthquake in Japan, google 'Pearl Harbor death toll.'"

The next day, he decided to delete the tweet and apologize for his comment. He wrote, "Yesterday death toll = 200. Today = 10,000. I am sorry for my insensitive Tweet. It's gone."

Pondexter apologizes for tweet about Japan

New York Liberty guard Cappie Pondexter apologized for Twitter postings over the weekend about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Pondexter tweeted on Saturday: "What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes."

She later tweeted: "u just never knw! They did pearl harbor so u can't expect anything less."

Pondexter posted an apology Monday:

"I wanna apologize to anyone I may hurt or offended during this tragic time," the tweet said. "I didn't realize that my words could be interpreted in the manner which they were. People that knw me would tell u 1st hand I'm a very spiritual person and believe that everything, even disasters happen 4 a reason and that God will shouldn't be questioned but this is a very sensitive subject at a very tragic time and I shouldn't even have given a reason for the choice of words I used.

"The least thing I wanted was to hurt or offend anyone so again I truly apologize. If you've lost respect for me that's totally fine but please don't let me or my words lose the respect of u the WNBA and what it stands for.

"I'm very strong woman evn strong enough 2 admit an apologize when I'm wrong. Twitter is a voice and wth tht I wanna apologize again."

The WNBA declined to comment on Pondexter's tweets, but the Liberty released a statement later Monday.

"We have spoken to Cappie and the content of that conversation will remain internal. She made a mistake and quickly apologized for that mistake. We will have no further comment."

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Music

50 Cent, Gilbert Gottfried Mock Japan's Earthquake Victims on Twitter

Published March 14, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Rapper 50 Cent and comedian Gilbert Gottfried stunned some Twitter followers when their Tweets mocked the earthquake and tsunami victims in Japan and around the world.

As the death toll continues to climb from the devastating 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami Friday, 50 Cent took to Twitter to take a few jabs at the situation.

“Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoe’s from LA, Hawaii and Japan. I had to do it. Lol,” he Tweeted.

He added shortly afterward, “Nah this is nuts but what can anyone do about it. Let’s pray for anyone who has lost someone.”

The rapper said he Tweets for shock value: “Some of my tweets are ignorant I do it for shock value. Hate it or love it. I’m cool either way 50cent.”

Comedian Gilbert Gottfried also took a few jabs at the situation, Tweeting "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

He also wrote, "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll by another one floating by any minute now."

Meanwhile, the death toll for the quake and tsunami has climbed to10,000 people by some estimates, with some 2,000 bodies found on two shores in the Miyagi coastal areas of Japan Monday.

Is it ever okay to joke about these things? Especially so recent in the news? 

by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Replies (21-27):
Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I have no cable.. and I don't listen to the radio.. always my ipod...

Quoting cutelatinmami:

I understand that ppl like what they like but that foOl is always around sayin somethin dumb or somethin so thats y i think its weird not 2 kno who he is. I dont like lady gaga that much either but i dont kno any1 who doesnt kno who she is....

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Or she doesn't listen to that kind of music. I know who he is from my sisters....but I couldn't tell you one of his songs names. If it's not alternative/indie....I probably haven't heard of them. 

I didn't know who Lady Gaga was until last July. 

Quoting cutelatinmami:

I dont really like 50 but if u never heard of him u must be livin n a cave somewhereblank stare

Quoting Kaelansmom:

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Quoting Kaelansmom:

nasty horrible people...who the hell is 50cent?

a rapper who has been shot like 7-8 times. who used to be a drug dealer.A ROLE MODEL FOR THE CHILDREN...... gag!

ahh that is why I have never heard of him.... rap is crap

cutelatinmami
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

O ok!

Quoting Kaelansmom:

I have no cable.. and I don't listen to the radio.. always my ipod...

Quoting cutelatinmami:

I understand that ppl like what they like but that foOl is always around sayin somethin dumb or somethin so thats y i think its weird not 2 kno who he is. I dont like lady gaga that much either but i dont kno any1 who doesnt kno who she is....

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Or she doesn't listen to that kind of music. I know who he is from my sisters....but I couldn't tell you one of his songs names. If it's not alternative/indie....I probably haven't heard of them. 

I didn't know who Lady Gaga was until last July. 

Quoting cutelatinmami:

I dont really like 50 but if u never heard of him u must be livin n a cave somewhereblank stare

Quoting Kaelansmom:

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Quoting Kaelansmom:

nasty horrible people...who the hell is 50cent?

a rapper who has been shot like 7-8 times. who used to be a drug dealer.A ROLE MODEL FOR THE CHILDREN...... gag!

ahh that is why I have never heard of him.... rap is crap

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Alot of people use humor in extremely stressful situations. This is nothing new.

But for all you women who believe so strongly in Karma.....what think you now?

erimar2
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM

SMDH!.........have anybody seen that new VW commerical where they say....."not made in japan" WTH

we americans can learn from the ppl of japan and what they are going through

plus God don't like UGLY!

metalhealthmom
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I'm the first to admit I have a sick, twisted sense of humor-however, I tend not to take my jokes and comments public until some time has passed. 

That said, I am normally one of the first people to donate and get others on board for donating. 

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Mar. 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Quoting EireLass:

Alot of people use humor in extremely stressful situations. This is nothing new.

But for all you women who believe so strongly in Karma.....what think you now?

Well then I guess we better keep looking out....I mean Hiroshima and Nagasaki and all....

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Mar. 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Freedom of speech, love it or hate it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured