Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 year old Japanese boy searches for his family

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

'I will come again tomorrow': Boy, 9, desperately searches for missing family in Japan

David R Arnott writes:Toshihito Aisawa's father, mother and grandmother are all missing. For days the 9-year-old has been desperately searching for them at evacuation centers in the Japanese city of Ishinomaki, holding up hand written signs pleading for information. On one is written their names, on the other the simple message "I will come again tomorrow."

Kuniaki Nishio / Asahi Shimbun via EPA

Nine-year-old Toshihito Aisawa pictured at an evacuation centre in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan on March 15. He is holding two handwritten signs as he continues his search for his father, mother and grandmother lost in the quake and tsunami of March 11. On one is written their names, on the other "I will come again tomorrow".

Toshihito's father picked him up from school shortly after the earthquake struck last Friday, and the family were driving towards higher ground when the tsunami struck.

Toshihito and his teenage cousin Yuto managed to crawl out of the car's broken window, but they became separated and the younger boy then lost consciousness. When he came to, a man fished him out of the water.

Kuniaki Nishio, a journalist with Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, met Toshihito on Tuesday as he searched for his missing relatives. The boy remained determined that he would find his family. "When the roads clear up, I'm going to check our home," he said.

A family friend, 64-year-old barber Mitsunari Kitahara, who is looking after the boy, said Toshihito had not shown any emotion since losing his family. "I'm sure that it has been tough on him," Mr Kitahara said.

Asahi Shimbun reported that Kitahara repeatedly told the Toshihito to "stop worrying so much" and to "come back home as soon as you can."

"Yes, I'll do as you say. I won't worry about it," Toshihito replied, although the paper said "his face betrayed his show of bravery."

Kuniaki Nishio / Asahi Shimbun via EPA

Nine-year-old Toshihito Aisawa pictured at an evacuation centre in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan on March 15, searching for his missing father, mother and grandmother.

However, as flagged by Newsvine user acidrain, The Australian newspaper, citing Asahi Shimbun, reported some good news Friday: Toshihito has been reunited with his cousin. Another cousin, Yuna, who was also in the car, is still missing.

by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
OhiogirlinCali
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I read this and found it so heartbreaking. There are so many going through this kind of uncertainty...

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM

poor little guy... I hope he finds someone soon... breaks my heart.

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

This is sooo sad. 

What is even sadder if this was in the United States I know some one here on CM would be bashing the hell out of the family.

I am glad he found his cousin and I hope he finds his family soon. I fear they are dead.

_Bamaborn_
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Thats so sad...):

mommatothree01
by Member on Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

That's so sad. I can't imagine how horrible that poor boy must feel not knowing where any of his family is.  I hope he is able to find them alive and well.

tericared
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I hope he finds more of his family...

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Mar. 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

awwwww. Man, this poor child. I pray they are reunited. How heartbreaking!!!

OhiogirlinCali
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Why do you think his family would be bashed?  It's certainly not their fault they went missing...

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

This is sooo sad. 

What is even sadder if this was in the United States I know some one here on CM would be bashing the hell out of the family.

I am glad he found his cousin and I hope he finds his family soon. I fear they are dead.

MaddiesMama09
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM
This is just so heart wrenching. :( I hope he is reunited with his family soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN