Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Uterine ablation

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:18 AM
  • 12 Replies
Anyone know about it? Have it done? Have a hysterectomy instead? I know google works wonders but I'm looking for actual experiences. I have to go to a vaginacologist and I really am not looking forward to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I had the option of having it done or having the hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy because of my issues, the ablation was only a temporary fix and the chances were high I would have to have a hysterectomy anyway.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM
Do you know what it is? I really haven't looked into it before. My mother and sister chose hysterectomies. Do you take hormones now?

Quoting muslimahpj:

I had the option of having it done or having the hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy because of my issues, the ablation was only a temporary fix and the chances were high I would have to have a hysterectomy anyway.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM

vaginacologist ?

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM

The ablation is where they go in and burn off a layer of the uterine wall. You may or may not have a period for a while afterwards.

I dont have to take hormones because I didnt have a complete hysterectomy. I still have one of my ovaries.

Quoting LauraKW:

Do you know what it is? I really haven't looked into it before. My mother and sister chose hysterectomies. Do you take hormones now?

Quoting muslimahpj:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:27 AM

The scoping I had done was an in office procdure and painful as hell. My doc said the ablation would be in office as well. So, that was a factor in my decision too. Some docs do the ablation in same day surgery, so I think it's just whatever the docs prefer?

butlerro1013
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM

One of my friends had it done.  She's 45.  She was having a lot of trouble with her periods and it pretty much fixed it for her.  She's happy she had it done.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:27 AM
Gynecologist. :-)

Quoting Goodwoman614:

vaginacologist ?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I was loaded with polyps in my uterus, and had a D&C. They grew back quickly. Well, obviously I wasn't going to make D&C a regular part of my schedule. I had a bi-cornuit uterus, so ablation was not an option for me. I opted to have JUST the uterus out. I kept my cervix, tubes, ovaries. This was 9 years ago. It was the best decision...I felt amazing afterwards. It started laprascopically, but do to excessive bleeding they did a c-sec cut. I went in in really good physical shape, so my recovery was really fast.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Everyone I know that had an ablation loves the end results! I had 7 massive fibroids so it wasn't an option for me and I had my uterus removed. It was some major surgery in my case but normally its quick and simple. 

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I have a good friend who did the ablation.  A few years ago.  She had horribly heavy, crampy periods with only like a week in between.  She was all better for a long time, but she says it's slowly returning to what it used to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)