Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wiccan TSA Agent Fired

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM
  • 15 Replies

Wiccan TSA Agent Fired

Wiccan Tsa Agent

The Huffington Post  Dean Praetorius  First Posted: 03/28/11 01:50 PM ET Updated: 03/28/11 01:50 PM ET

Being a Wiccan isn't usually a reason to lose your job, but it was in the case of Carole A. Smith, a TSA worker at Albany's International airport who found herself officially out of work last June. After months of alleged harassment centered around her religion, according to MSNBC. But she hardly had a complaint before her co-workers found of she was a witch.

The 49-year-old Wiccan argues that her firing had almost everything to do with her practices. Prior to a March 2009 complaint when she was accused of putting a hex on a co-worker's car, her record was nearly spotless.

She was in the top 10 percent in Albany at catching weapons on the X-ray machine. She passed her skills test on the first try. She caught a woman on her way to Vietnam with $30,000 in cash. And she didn't mind working with the passengers -- her training as a massage therapist kept her from being squeamish, as some officers were, about patting down elderly and special-needs passengers.

From that point on things got worse and worse, according to the MSNBC report. Smith's file quickly bulged, and eventually she found herself in court fighting to get her job back.

Smith claims that for over a year she found herself subject to school-yard bullying, and harassment based on her Wicca practices. However, he complaints to officials higher-up went unheeded.

Though the TSA did have a large file on her prior to the trial, even the judge pointed out that officials kept changing their stories. While they did have good enough reason to terminate her employment in the end, the complaints began with suspicious circumstances.

Watch the full report, from MSNBC, below, or click here for the full report.
WATCH:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/28/wiccan-tsa-agent-fired_n_841510.html

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:12 PM

"Accused of putting a hex on a co-worker's car"..... sounds like she isn't the only one to believe in magic at her workplace.

Jenniejen77
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Wow. That's sad.

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

You know, it's wrong to fire someone over their religion.

I'm just curious what she was doing at work that brought attention to her being Wiccan.  And I'd like to know what the TSA had in the "large file" on her prior to trial.

Some stories need more "filling out", ya know?

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Ya this shit needs to stop period. I know the crap this woman has went thru and it is ridiculous.

iluv2meow
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM

*shakes my head*

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM

not good...

nikki0522
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Wow! Not cool!

Follow my homeschool blog! Click here

Join The Homeschoolers Cafe - Group Admin

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Quoting romalove:

You know, it's wrong to fire someone over their religion.

I'm just curious what she was doing at work that brought attention to her being Wiccan.  And I'd like to know what the TSA had in the "large file" on her prior to trial.

Some stories need more "filling out", ya know?

Same here. I can't imagine she thought so little of her job, considering she started out so well. What were her co-workers saying about her?

Della529
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM

The assistant director told her he was investigating a threat of workplace violence. He said that her former mentor in on-the-job training, officer Mary Bagnoli, reported that she was afraid of Smith because she was a witch who practiced witchcraft. She accused Smith of following her on the highway one snowy evening after work and casting a spell on the heater of her car, causing it not to work. Well, actually, Bagnoli said she hadn't seen Smith's car, but she had seen Smith. “I thought to myself,” Smith recalls, “what, did she see me flying on my broom?”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41959553?GT1=43001

OH MY!

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Quoting Della529:

The assistant director told her he was investigating a threat of workplace violence. He said that her former mentor in on-the-job training, officer Mary Bagnoli, reported that she was afraid of Smith because she was a witch who practiced witchcraft. She accused Smith of following her on the highway one snowy evening after work and casting a spell on the heater of her car, causing it not to work. Well, actually, Bagnoli said she hadn't seen Smith's car, but she had seen Smith. “I thought to myself,” Smith recalls, “what, did she see me flying on my broom?”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41959553?GT1=43001

OH MY!

That gets a big *eyeroll* from me. How ridiculous!

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)