Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GOP candidate: No Muslims in my administration

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM
  • 16 Replies

GOP candidate: No Muslims in my administration

Herman Cain
AP
Herman Cain

(UPDATED) Former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain is not a first-tier presidential candidate. He is, however, actively running, and he does have real support. He won a straw poll at the Conservative Principles Conference in Iowa over the weekend, and last month won another straw poll at a conference organized by a tea party group.

That substantial support makes it all the more remarkable that Cain told Think Progress' Scott Keyes over the weekend that he would not appoint a Muslim to his cabinet.

It's hard to interpret this exchange as anything other than straight-up bigotry:

KEYES: You came under a bit of controversy this week for some of the comments made about Muslims in general. Would you be comfortable appointing a Muslim, either in your cabinet or as a federal judge?

CAIN: No, I would not. And here's why. There is this creeping attempt, there is this attempt to gradually ease Sharia law and the Muslim faith into our government. It does not belong in our government. This is what happened in Europe. And little by little, to try and be politically correct, they made this little change, they made this little change. And now they've got a social problem that they don't know what to do with hardly.

Some of the more mainstream candidates -- including Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum -- have already dabbled in anti-Shariah rhetoric. But one wonders if they are now going to have to denounce Cain's comments.

"Be who you are and say what you feel....
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind... don't
matter."
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluv2meow
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM

ugh.... this shit is making me want to tell everyone if your religious dont run for shit :O

tericared
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM

What an idiot, sharia law is already being practiced by Muslims in the US and has been since the first Muslim slave from Africa stepped foot on US soil.......good grief I wish people would educate themselves....

Della529
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Guess for all his smarts, he's not able to understand the US Constitution.

rfurlongg
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

i hope more people stand up to these narrow minded views and vote.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM

What!  Appalling!  Substitute the word "Catholic" for Muslim in his statement and think of the outrage!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Oh FFS, some of these people are just ridiculous. I know there are sane Conservatives out there but the loons, on both sides, seem to make the most noise.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

This guy would be absolutely hammered if he was saying any other religious group besides Muslim.  The fact that this slips by makes me ill.

Quoting Friday:

Oh FFS, some of these people are just ridiculous. I know there are sane Conservatives out there but the loons, on both sides, seem to make the most noise.

lovinangels
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

And i was getting ready to post the obligatory, "you know we're not all like that, right?" post. This is why I think we will probably see another term of Obama. Not because he's doing a great job, but because there just aren't any Pubs that make me woozy with glee.

Quoting Friday:

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Quoting tericared:

What an idiot, sharia law is already being practiced by Muslims in the US and has been since the first Muslim slave from Africa stepped foot on US soil.......good grief I wish people would educate themselves....

But... but... if he did, he wouldn't have anything to bitch about!!!!

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

What!  Appalling!  Substitute the word "Catholic" for Muslim in his statement and think of the outrage!

Substitute Jewish and there would really be an uproar and rightfully so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)