Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soooo, Is....

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

Starting controversy to inspire discussion or even a mommy war something that speaks of poor character?

Like a paci debate or a circ debate.  Is that a troublemaker wanting to pit moms against each other?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Not always. Debates can be fun but there are certain people who's posts I've stopped even opening because its apparent after awhile who just likes to start trouble.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM
It depends...usually a troublemaker or pot stirrer but COULD be someone with time on their hands wanting to make an epic post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM

honestly? depends on who joins in on the 'debate'.... some people enjoy the drama and personal assualts thrown around in those types of debates. however, i have been in debates about circumcision that were very interesting, educaitional and respectul. so i guess is all depends on who shows up....

Della529
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I thought the point of having "mods" was to further discussions.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

It depends on how it's done. I've seen some play devils advocate just to make things interesting. If one starts with insults or sweeping generalizations about one side then, maybe but just posting a debate you know can get heated, no.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Quoting Della529:

I thought the point of having "mods" was to further discussions.

Y'all don't seem to have trouble with that.

Perhaps there's a really original spin on an issue that can spark real discussion. But most of the time it's Mommy War #485894. I don't think it indicates poor character (this is, after all, just the Internet), but it does show that a person just wants to see what the "lay of the land" is.

Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Quoting Friday:

It depends on how it's done. I've seen some play devils advocate just to make things interesting. If one starts with insults or sweeping generalizations about one side then, maybe but just posting a debate you know can get heated, no.

This.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:36 PM

To me a troublemaker would just start the debate to sit back and watch the drama unfold and take no part in active discussion.

There are many debates that will immediately spark drama and get heated right out of the gate. That doesn't mean they should not be discussed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)