Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cirumcision.....Did you / are you going to?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM
  • 102 Replies

I babysat my friends little boys today. The younger of the two is potty training. When I was helping him off the toilet I noticed that he wasn't circumcised. To be honest it kind of shocked me, I've never seen an un-circumcised male before. I've researched it a little and I'm wondering if I did the right thing by having my only son circumcised? (my other boys are step kids)

I was 18 when he was born and I didn't know you had a choice whether or not a boy was circumcised. I remember them bringing him to me after they had "done it". His eyes were swollen and his skin was splotchy red all over.(from crying I'm sure) I remember thinking to myself, "what did I just let them do?". Anyways, what did you do with your boy/boys. Or will you circumcise if you have a boy?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelansmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Did have it done. DH made that decision...

Both DH and the nurse said he only cried when she took him from DH... he stopped when the doc started talking to him and didn't cry until he woke for his feeding.

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM

My son is circumcised and it's a decision I regret. I was 19 and had never done any research and just stupidly assumed it was the thing to do. Surely there must be a reason to, right? But if I have another boy I wouldn't circumcise him. Even if it means drugging my Jewish boyfriend and locking him in the basement for the rest of his life.

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM

All 3 of mine are. 

My first one screamed like a banshee being strapped to the board and when they numbed him. He was more pissed to be on that board than anything else as soon as he was unstrapped from the board he quit.

My 2nd son slept through it. 

My 3rd son got mad when they pricked him to numb him first. waited a few minutes and he didn't cry. 

We did it for religious reasons. If that wasn't why, then no, the wouldn't have been circ'ed. I have cousins who are not circ'ed and 3 of them ended up needed to be when they were about 8-11. our of 12 cousins, I know of 5 who are still not circ'ed. 

Sofiabug
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Nope. Neither of my boys are. Let my hubs decide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mwengenroth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Neither of my boys are. I just feel like there is no reason for it.

GreenJelloQueen
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Quoting AmmuJSE:

All 3 of mine are. 

My first one screamed like a banshee being strapped to the board and when they numbed him. He was more pissed to be on that board than anything else as soon as he was unstrapped from the board he quit.

My 3rd son got mad when they pricked him to numb him first. waited a few minutes and he didn't cry. 

We did it for religious reasons. If that wasn't why, then no, the wouldn't have been circ'ed. I have cousins who are not circ'ed and 3 of them ended up needed to be when they were about 8-11.our of 12 cousins, I know of 5 who are still not circ'ed. 

Why? That would have to be horrifying for a 8-11 year old!

mandaday
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Have not and will not. I just don't view it as necessary.

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Quoting GreenJelloQueen:

Quoting AmmuJSE:

All 3 of mine are. 

We did it for religious reasons. If that wasn't why, then no, the wouldn't have been circ'ed. I have cousins who are not circ'ed and 3 of them ended up needed to be when they were about 8-11.our of 12 cousins, I know of 5 who are still not circ'ed. 

Why? That would have to be horrifying for a 8-11 year old!

2 of them had Phimosis and my other cousin had balanitis. 

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my son circ'd.  My grandson is circ'd and the one due any day will be circ'd.  It is required by our religion.    When we had it done, it was by the Moehl (pronounced moy-el), a rabbi/cantor that specializes in the procedure when the baby is 8 days old.  With both my son and grandson, barely a whimper was heard.   A topical numbing cream is used and a special sterile instrument.  As part of the cermony (called a bris)a sterile gauze dipped in kosher wine is used, the baby sucks on the gauze. the whole procedure takes less than 20 min.  Baby is usually asleep before the end of the ceremony. 

As for having it done if it is not part of your religion, is a choice as only you the mom and dad can make.  Many moms will say circumcision is not necessary if you teach you son how to properly clean himself.  Other's will say that the benefits of not worrying about the health risks far outweigh not having it done.   Some moms simply have it done because their husbands/other sons are and did not want this boy to be different.  So really it depends on the parents if you are not Muslim or Jewish..or other religion that requires circing.

butterfly on headlynda  

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I allowed my husband to decide and do not regret the decision he made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)