Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Take: Israel is the new Iowa for GOP presidential hopefuls

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

American politicians used to travel to Iowa and New Hampshire, home to the first presidential caucuses and primary, to test the waters for a White House bid. In this election cycle, however, Israel is the place to tip your toe in those waters, at least for Republican hopefuls.

In recent months, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Haley Barbour and Rudy Giuliani have all visited the Holy Land. Yesterday, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin announced that she will be traveling to Israel over the weekend to meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Israel is of course a longstanding U.S. ally. But it also plays a special place in the end times theological visions of American fundamentalists. Many conservative Christians in the United States read the founding of the state of Israel in 1948 as paving the way for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. And today many are convinced on the basis of various passages in the biblical book of Genesis  that all nations will be judged in accordance with how they treat Israel.

Christian Zionism has been denounced as unbiblical and even unchristian by some Christian groups, including the National Council of Churches, but it has become an orthodoxy of sorts among Republican social conservatives. “To stand against Israel is to stand against God,” the Rev. Jerry Falwell wrote in 1981, and today Republicans angling for the Oval Office are racking up frequent flyer miles to Israel to prove that they stand with God.

Precisely where God comes out for the building of Israeli settlements on land formerly controlled by Palestinians is not clear to me, but the Republican parade to the Holy Land seems united in its view that Obama’s efforts to curtail those settlements are wrongheaded at best and sinful at worst.

LINK

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
iluv2meow
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:29 PM

WTH!?? Someone please tie up Palin! Oh my Im just so embarrassed!

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM

BUMP!

tericared
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Quoting muslimahpj:

Fitting?

I am stealing this!

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Fitting?

I am stealing this!

Be my guest. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)