Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TSA Defends Groping Six-Year-Old Girl Crossing Through Airport Security Check

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM
  • 28 Replies

(ABC News) – The family of the 6-year-old girl who received a pat down at airport security in New Orleans said today there needs to be a different screening process for children.

“We struggle to teach our kids to protect themselves, to say ‘no, it’s not ok to touch me in this way in this area,” the girl’s mother, Selena Drexel, said. “Yet here we are saying it’s ok for these people.” If we don’t find other ways we’re making them more vulnerable, she said.

Drexel and her husband, Dr. Todd Drexel, of Bowling Green, Ky., appeared this morning in an exclusive interview with “Good Morning America.”

A video of the couple’s daughter going through the screening went viral on the Internet, getting thousands of views on sites like YouTube. It shows a TSA agent rubbing the young girl’s inner thighs and running her fingers inside the top of the girl’s blue jeans.

The Drexels said they stood powerless, watching as their daughter was patted down.

“I did ask for alternatives, I asked for her to be rescanned,” Selena Drexel said. “They just refused and said they were going to do what they were going to do.”

Selena Drexel said she could only speculate as to why the 6-year-old was selected for the pat down. She said that the TSA supervisor made it clear “non-verbally” that there would be trouble if she caused a fuss.

Your thoughts........?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SKOL
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I'm so on the fence about this.... Im interested in seeing other replies.

bullony
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I watched the video.  The parent was there and the TSA agent explained exactly what whe was going to do before doing it.  I take issue with the "groping" headlines.  Leave that to perverts.  I think the only reason we are hearing more about it is that it is affecting more than muslim women and children.  While I would rather have my kids not have to go through this, the nation freaked after 9-11 and this is what we got.

Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM

My thoughts are that they shouldn't fly. I, personally, didn't find the pat down to be invasive. If I had a say I would say 'get over it!'

ArmyWifeAshlie
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM
It bothers me...just because it's a TSA agent doesn't mean it won't be traumatic. I would have a problem being "patted down" in this manner at 22. I just think there has to be a better way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bullony
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

`Alvin Toffler`

Kaelansmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I fear leaving Hawaii because of this. My son does not like other people touching him... period. I also don't appreciate the fact that they do touch the upper inner thigh

Trouble is, I will have no choice but to fly. Military dictates when we go.

You know what is really scary.. there are at least 4 internationl aiports outside of the US that had implimented rules like these and found that people were still getting stuff by... they don't work. Someone was on my flight to Hawaii with a pair of tweezers and a metal nail file... and she was patted down, her bags searched...

bullony
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Quoting Kaelansmom:

I fear leaving Hawaii because of this. My son does not like other people touching him... period. I also don't appreciate the fact that they do touch the upper inner thigh

Trouble is, I will have no choice but to fly. Military dictates when we go.

You know what is really scary.. there are at least 4 internationl aiports outside of the US that had implimented rules like these and found that people were still getting stuff by... they don't work. Someone was on my flight to Hawaii with a pair of tweezers and a metal nail file... and she was patted down, her bags searched...

According to TSA those are allowed in carry-on.

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

`Alvin Toffler`

Sofiabug
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I won't fly with my kids because of this.  My son is autistic and a patdown would be a nightmare.  There is no common sense when it comes to these patdowns.  They really needed to patdown this child after she was scanned?  Give me a break.

Sofiabug
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Just watched the video.  That is ridiculous.  Patting down a little girl just to be pc.  How many small American children have bombed an airplane??

lovinangels
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM

This is beyond ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)