Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How many empty houses are on your street?

We have 6.

One of them is a very cute bungalow that the city bought and rehabbed.  New driveway and siding and the works!  It has a nice floor plan and a very big kitchen.  It also has central air and a big beautiful 2.5 car garage.

It has been sitting for 8 mos since the renovations were complete.

Have you seen a house in your area sell?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Zero.  One house stood empty for about a year.  But the reasonings were it was overpriced and needed major renovations.  Once the owner came down, it sold pretty quick.  We do have a lot of houses for sale around us though.  

rocker_mommy_08
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM
The house across the street (someone owns it but no one lives there) and the one next door (the lady died)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
867-5309
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM

We have 4 houses for sale on my block.  3 of them are owner occupied but have been on the market for at least 8 months or more.  The one that is empty has been that way for 2 years.  That house though had a murder in it and it was big news so many people recognize it and won't even go in.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM

No empty houses here, I'm in central NJ.  The people across the street just sold their house (they closed three days ago) and they are leaving NJ and going to live with relatives in Tennessee.  Both were employed doing mortgage closings, and when everything crashed about two and a half years ago, both lost their jobs, and they have been struggling since.  In the last year we have had three houses on my block for sale and sold.

MaddiesMama09
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM
We had one vacant foreclosure 2 doors down for the last year or so, but it was just bought :). Now there are none
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KC33
by Kim on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

I live in Michigan... we have empty houses everywhere.

In the last year, there were 10 foreclosures on my street and they sold for 50% less then I paid for my home 15 yrs ago. In my neighborhood I haven't seen a home being sold the old fashion way (voluntarily) in about two years. :(

lovinangels
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM
We don't have any. Our house was originally a foreclosure purchase by my BIL, who fixed it up and sold it to us for a modest sum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Quoting KC33:

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

In the last year, there were 10 foreclosures on my street and they sold for 50% less then I paid for my home 15 yrs ago. In my neighborhood I haven't seen a home being sold the old fashion way (voluntarily) in about two years. :(

This is very akin to what I am seeing.

I am paying taxes for 79,000  on a home I would likely get less then 40 for. *sigh* I bought my house about 20 yrs ago for what I would get for it today if I were blessed to sell it at all.

I just reread, 50 % of what you paid 15 yrs ago?  *shudder*  *wanders off wondering how much my house is really worth* :(

Yes I know I can have my taxes adjusted.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM

There are no empty houses on my street. On the adjacent street there is a house that went into foreclosure that remains empty but with no for sale sign. The house across the street is for sale, and I know of one other in the entire neighborhood, so hopefully we're still doing fairly well here--since I'm going to be trying to sell mine in a few months. **fingers crossed, knock on wood***

P

KC33
by Kim on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting KC33:

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

This is very akin to what I am seeing.

I am paying taxes for 79,000  on a home I would likely get less then 40 for. *sigh* I bought my house about 20 yrs ago for what I would get for it today if I were blessed to sell it at all.

I just reread, 50 % of what you paid 15 yrs ago?  *shudder*  *wanders off wondering how much my house is really worth* :(

Yes I know I can have my taxes adjusted.

I'll give you an example of how bad the market is around here, my son and his wife just put in a $58,000 bid on a foreclosed home that had originally sold for $250,000.

My husband and I are going to ask for a tax adjustment too because our city assessment does not reflect the market value anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)