Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How many empty houses are on your street?

We have 6.

One of them is a very cute bungalow that the city bought and rehabbed.  New driveway and siding and the works!  It has a nice floor plan and a very big kitchen.  It also has central air and a big beautiful 2.5 car garage.

It has been sitting for 8 mos since the renovations were complete.

Have you seen a house in your area sell?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Our housing market is booming.  We have a less than 1% vacancy rate for rentals, and many if not most houses sell quickly, within days sometimes.  Of course there are some that sit, but it's usually because it's way overpriced.  There are no empty houses on my street the fourplex next door is for sale, but because it's rental property it's taking a bit longer.

OhiogirlinCali
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Quoting KC33:

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

I live in Michigan... we have empty houses everywhere.

In the last year, there were 10 foreclosures on my street and they sold for 50% less then I paid for my home 15 yrs ago. In my neighborhood I haven't seen a home being sold the old fashion way (voluntarily) in about two years. :(

We bought our home, which is only 8 years old, for $296,000 less than what our neighbors across the street paid for theirs, and our is 200 sq ft bigger.  It truly is insane... and very sad and frustrating for those that bought towards/at the peak....

erinsmom1964
by Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM

0 we bought the one that had been vacant for almost 2 years.  We fixed it up( still have a long list of projects)

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Our housing market is booming.  We have a less than 1% vacancy rate for rentals, and many if not most houses sell quickly, within days sometimes.  Of course there are some that sit, but it's usually because it's way overpriced.  There are no empty houses on my street the fourplex next door is for sale, but because it's rental property it's taking a bit longer.

**Blows rasberries at the Canadians, first for their Healthcare and now for their housing market**

:)

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Well we been lucky and we have a construction site going so far we have sold four houses since last summer and four more going up and all presolds. There are a few in the area got their houses up for sale mostly for sale by owner, those usually sit for years and never sell.

taxlady66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

3 homes are for sale on my street.  I know I have driven in some lower middle to slightly upper middle income areas and it almost seems like every third home is for sale.

mommasbabies77
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM
3...there is only 6 tho.The house on the corner has sold as resold at least 4 times since we've moved in here8 years ago. The house behind that one has sold and resold 3 times. The one below me has stood vacant the entire time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Apr. 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Maybe one?? but it'll fill fast. We live on post. LOL

HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM

This is an article from the NYT that is a couple years old about Flint...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/business/22flint.html

When I was born in Flint in 1980 the population was 159,611. Twenty years before that, the population of Flint was 196,940. The 2010 census has 102,434 as the population of Flint.

There are boarded up empty houses everywhere. I am glad we moved, even if it was just a few miles away, to get my kids out of that city.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM

we have 2 on our street, and 2 more on the street behind us. 3 have on the market for more than 3 mo and one just went on the market last week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)