Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smokers with nonsmoking guests - which is ruder?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM
  • 87 Replies

Poll

Question: Which is ruder?

Options:

It's ruder to smoke in the home or car

It's ruder to as the smoker not to smoke in their own home or car

Both are equally rude

Neither is rude

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 95

View Results

If a smoker has a nonsmoker as a guest in their home or a passenger in their car, which is the ruder behavior?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Smoking is a health hazard so if someone wants to smoke, go outside but not in my home or car. 

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Generally, if I know you smoke in your home, I won't be visiting, so that really would not be an issue. And we can take MY car, lol.

I think if you invite the non-smoker over and then smoke around them, it's rude, but if the non-smoker comes for a visit of his own accord, knowing that you smoke in your home, then he's asking for it. Again, that's why I won't visit a smoked-in home. I like my lungs too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LillyJD
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM
If it's the smokers house they can do what they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Generally, if I know you smoke in your home, I won't be visiting, so that really would not be an issue. And we can take MY car, lol.

I think if you invite the non-smoker over and then smoke around them, it's rude, but if the non-smoker comes for a visit of his own accord, knowing that you smoke in your home, then he's asking for it. Again, that's why I won't visit a smoked-in home. I like my lungs too much.

This. Said perfectly and I agree.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Quoting LillyJD:

If it's the smokers house they can do what they want.

CRS86
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM

My uncle smokes and whenever we would go over to his house as kids, he would smoke outside when we were there, I think it's just a nice thing to do, but I would never ask someone to do it if they didn't, seeing as it is their home, not mine.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM

If the smoker owns the home/vehicle.....they can do what they want. As a non-smoker, I don't have to visit/ride.

Same as when they come here (non-smoking home), and it's -10 outside....sorry, go stand outside and smoke.

wendythewriter
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM

My SO and my parents all smoke, and my sons and I are allergic to something that is in smoke. Knowing this, my SO and parents smoke outside and will not smoke in my car, and won't smoke in their own cars if we are with them. My parents prefer to smoke outside anyway, and my SO doesn't really care if he smokes in or out.

With others...if I MUST go to their home or ride in their car, I politely and respectfully inform them of our allergy and ask them if they could refrain from smoking indoors or in the car for the duration of our visit. Most everyone I know is very understanding and happily accommodates us. If they refused, that would certainly be their right, and I would either decline to visit (even if it meant missing an important event) or if it was something like going to visit family, stay in a hotel.  If it were a car situation, I'd either opt that we take my car and inform them there's no smoking or opt that we take separate cars.

I think asking a smoker not to smoke inside while you're there is not rude, as long as it's done the right way. I do think if the smoker knows that their guest doesn't smoke, it would be nice to let the guest know that they do smoke so the guest knows what to expect. But I don't think it's rude if they don't let the guest know either.

Momontherun2
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:33 AM

If it's the smokers house, it's ruder to ask them not to smoke, but anyone I associate with who smokes, has kids, so they don't smoke in the house or car.

if it's the non smokers car or house -- you definitely don't smoke, and you don't ask, you just go outside, or wait until the car stops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)