Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Patty, mom of 3 girly boys (and couldn't be more proud!)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM
  • 79 Replies

After experiencing the outrageous reactions to recent stories in the media about boys being encouraged by their mothers to do "girly" things (like dress-up as Daphne from the Scooby-Doo series for halloween or paint their toenails pink with their mother as in the supposedly controversial J. Crew Ad depicting such a scene that threw the religious-right into a tizzy!) I have decided to stop worrying about and start being proud of the fact that I have three fairly effeminate and super-pretty boys. 

My oldest, is a self-proclaimed feminist, poet, actor, and song-writer, who wants to someday become an english teacher possibly even college professor and join the peace corps. *swoon* 

The next one, (who, mind you, is only 7) is hell-bent on figuring out a way for males to give birth to babies. He simply refuses to hear it when someone tries to tell him boys can't ever have babies. He wants to birth one and eventually be able to nurse it... as in breastfeed it (breast is best, afterall ;) When I had his baby brother a couple of years ago my favorite time of the day was when I would breastfeed the baby and Zain would join me and mimic me by lifting his shirt and mock-breastfeeding his "baby" seahorse doll. Who doesn't love the cute coincidence that it was a seahorse doll?!! I mean, come on! 

And the baby, who's now 2, is so damn pretty, omg... he looks a lot like me, much more than the other boys, so I've naturally kept his hair long and girly and tend to dress him in gender-neutral clothing, avoiding anything too boyish.  I put his hair up in pig tails or pony tails or even his bangs back in a barrette sometimes.  Don't worry, it's a lamb, and it's blue (for boy ha).  It's not all the time, either, it's just sometimes. What's even more cool is the fact that my husband is just fine with this too; doesn't give it a second thought and sees it for the cuteness it is.  It's just fun and I never gave much thought to any of this.... until recently after the above mentioned stories about other mothers and the ridiculous reactions to them came out. I found my blood boiling as I read some of the reactions by some people. I realized that the gay-bashers and woman haters of the world would totally hate me and my troop of pretty boys and that's when I realized AH-HA! I now know my mission!! Infect the world with 3 more (4 if you count my husband, which I do) girly boys and really piss the gay-bashers and woman-haters off! NO problemo, already half way there, my friends. But it also upsets me. Not only as a feminist (for obvious reasons) but also as a mother of these boys. It's hard to distinguish who is discriminated against more... women--because the underlying aspersion cast here is, in cave-man language, feminine bad, masculine good. or boys--because no matter if they're gay or not, they should feel free to act anyway they want. or LGBT comm.--because how one identifies, gender-wise, really has little to nothing to do with their sexual orientation and it's an unfair stereotype to think it does.   

Anyway now my convictions to raise girly boys are solidified! I now see what I have to do. 
 Before these latest stories linked above were brought to light, I would question whether or not it was healthy for me to encourage effeminate characteristics in my sons. Now that I see just how much it pisses off certain types of "conservatives" and "religious right" bullshitters, gay-bashers and woman-haters, I am firmer and more staunch in my girlification efforts! It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to paint pink the toenails of this nation's impressionable young boys!

Photobucket
Photobucket

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeatherSumowski
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM
I am not bashing, just confused. Are you wanting them to be gay or just be themselves? Not that I'm against any of it...what woman wouldn't want a sensitive poet?! My DH had NEVER been like that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PattyMomof3boys
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Quoting HeatherSumowski:

I am not bashing, just confused. Are you wanting them to be gay or just be themselves? Not that I'm against any of it...what woman wouldn't want a sensitive poet?! My DH had NEVER been like that!

I'm [somewhat facetiously] accusing the outrage expressed towards mothers who let their sons do "girly" things of being the cause of my wanting to purposefully create, in my sons and even my husband, the antithesis of their pre-conceived notions of what they think manlyness and heterosexuality (and homosexuality for that matter) should be.

(but secretly, and don't let the enemy know this, I'm wanting them to just be themselves)

Photobucket
Photobucket

bullony
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM

love it!

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I think, after reading some of your replies, I've found my twin.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM

hey if that is the way they want to be then good for u letting them be that way

HeatherSumowski
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:04 PM
I love that you want them to just be who they are!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelansmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I ♥ you!

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I am the odd duck, my reaction is whatever floats your boat.

Lexy2518
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Good for you....society is constantly like you put in caveman terms feminine bad masculine good. Boys will be boys no matter what they do. I painted my boys toenails before because they saw me doing it to myself and wanted me to do it to them. After all they see it as arts and crafts, like finger painting. From the beginning it's blue is for boys and pink is for girls. No matter how you raise kids they are going to grow up to be who they truly are. As parents I feel like it's best not to judge but to nurture and be understanding and most importantly loving. So pat on the back mama...you keep loving your boys just the way they are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN