• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White House on War Powers Deadline: 'Limited' US Role in Libya Means No Need to Get Congressional Authorization

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM
  • 31 Replies

In an effort to satisfy those arguing he needs to seek congressional authorization to continue US military activity in accordance with the War Powers Resolution, President Obama wrote a letter to congressional leaders this afternoon suggesting that the role is now so “limited” he does not need to seek congressional approval.

“Since April 4,” the president wrote, “U.S. participation has consisted of: (1) non-kinetic support to the NATO-led operation, including intelligence, logistical support, and search and rescue assistance; (2) aircraft that have assisted in the suppression and destruction of air defenses in support of the no-fly zone; and (3) since April 23, precision strikes by unmanned aerial vehicles against a limited set of clearly defined targets in support of the NATO-led coalition's efforts.”

A senior administration official told ABC News that the letter is intended to describe “a narrow US effort that is intermittent and principally an effort to support to support the ongoing NATO-led and UN-authorized civilian support mission and no fly zone.”

“The US role is one of support,” the official said, “and the kinetic pieces of that are intermittent.”

From the beginning of the U.S. military intervention in Libya, the Obama administration has cited the 1973 War Powers Act as the legal basis of its ability to conduct military activities for 60 days without first seeking a declaration of war from Congress. The military intervention started on March 19; Congress was notified on March 21. Those 60 days expire today.

The president thanked the congressional leaders – House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky --- for the support that they have “demonstrated for this mission and for our brave service members, as well as your strong condemnation of the Qaddafi regime.”

The president voiced support for a bipartisan resolution drafted by Senators John Kerry, D-Mass., John McCain, R-Ariz., Carl Levin, D-Mich., Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., Lindsey Graham, R-SC, and Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., stating that Congress “supports the U.S. mission in Libya and that both branches are united in their commitment to supporting the aspirations of the Libyan people for political reform and self-government…Congressional action in support of the mission would underline the U.S. commitment to this remarkable international effort.”

Earlier this month, Kerry – who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee – described his resolution as “in limbo.”

-Jake Tapper

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2011/05/white-house-on-war-powers-deadline-limited-us-role-in-libya-means-no-need-to-get-congressional-autho.html

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM

So another war without approval....lovely.

He really is Bush 2.0

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
BleedinHeartMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM

ok.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Where are all the anti-war rallies? Where are the cries of "warmonger"? Nothing has changed since Bush left office other that is being in even FURTHER aggressive conflict so WHY is the silence from the anti war crowd so deafening?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Quoting stormcris:

He really is Bush 2.0

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Quoting stormcris:

He really is Bush 2.0

imamomzilla
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM

clapping

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Where are all the anti-war rallies? Where are the cries of "warmonger"? Nothing has changed since Bush left office other that is being in even FURTHER aggressive conflict so WHY is the silence from the anti war crowd so deafening?

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I think we should have congressional approval as well.

That said, I really am ok with destroying Gaddaffi's means of attacking his own citizens.

jejstover
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

These are questions I have asked as well.

I have recently come to the anti-war, pro-peace effort -- not through the left or progressive movements -- but rather through the introduction to /understanding of the non-aggression principle i.e. "We oppose the initiation of force and fraud"  and through the understanding that a non-intervention foreign policy is Constitutionally sound.

I am working to unite the anti-war, pro-peace mothers' movement -- and hoping to see long time anti-war activists of the Bush era willing to join forces with those who recognize and oppose the continuation of policies that promote the warfare state under the Obama Administration.

Jan

lovinangels
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Quoting stormcris:

He really is Bush 2.0

Did someone say something you like in this thread? Grab the quote and paste it here for a chance to win cafemom prizes!

I'd love to talk about saving money, babies, and bad hair days over at my blog.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM
That, and you, I can respect!! What I can't respect were the vounless thousands who used a trumped up "anti war" platform to blast politicians they didn't vote for ... all of whom are staggeringly silent on the exact same when it is supported and/or instigated by politicians they did vote for. Ladies like you get a thumbs up!!!

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

These are questions I have asked as well.

I have recently come to the anti-war,
pro-peace effort -- not through the left or progressive movements --
but rather through the introduction to /understanding of the
non-aggression principle i.e. "We oppose the initiation of
force and fraud" 
and through the understanding that a
non-intervention foreign policy is Constitutionally sound.

I
am working to unite the anti-war, pro-peace mothers' movement -- and
hoping to see long time anti-war activists of the Bush era willing to
join forces with those who recognize and oppose the continuation of
policies that promote the warfare state under the Obama
Administration.

Jan

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)