Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hindu Goddess Swimsuit Sparks Outrage

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

India-Australia relations suffered a minor setback this week, after a swimsuit by an Australian fashion designer featuring a portrait of Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity, sparked outrage across the subcontinent.

Designer and model Lisa Burke presented the swimsuit as part of the latest collection of her Lisa Blue label at Australian Fashion Week Thursday.

But when pictures of an Indian-looking model wearing a one-piece swimsuit with a portrait of Lakshmi printed on its front and rear made their way to India, Hindu nationalists didn’t like what they saw.

Over the weekend, they took to the streets in several Indian cities, including Hyderabad where pictures show activists burning the Australian flag in protest against what they viewed as an act of deep disrespect.

Ms. Burke’s label was quick to announce a halt in production, vowing that the Lakshmi swimsuit would never make it to stores.

Click here to read more on this story from The Wall Street Journal.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
imamomzilla
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I think it's pretty. I'd wear it. :-)

myfoursonsks
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM

This is totally irrelevant to the post, but I am so glad to see that the swimsuit model isn't a stick figure.

I don't think Lakshmi should be on the chick's ass either.  Swimsuits probably aren't the best place to display religious figures. Could you imagine seeing little Pope heads on the nipples and hooha of a bikini?

imamomzilla
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM

No. laughing

Quoting myfoursonsks:

This is totally irrelevant to the post, but I am so glad to see that the swimsuit model isn't a stick figure.

I don't think Lakshmi should be on the chick's ass either.  Swimsuits probably aren't the best place to display religious figures. Could you imagine seeing little Pope heads on the nipples and hooha of a bikini?

parrishsky
by Maxfield on May. 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I like the suit... it's gorgeous but I can see why some find it offensive.

LillyJD
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Quoting parrishsky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Quoting parrishsky:

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Quoting parrishsky:

I agree

Attention, folks: have you heard that the rapture is coming this Saturday? Two things: 1.) any Christians left hanging around are going to be thoroughly teased by me that you didn't make the "cut", 2.) Target, you are going DOWN...perfect place for looting. Food and nice clothes for post-rapture fashion.

ProudMuslimMa2B
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM
It's not just that. Hindus are idol worshippers. They worship statues and the pictures of their gods, pray to them, make offering, etc to pictures just like the one used on the swimsuit. There is no comparison to Christianity or the like, it can only be compared to other religions that are idol worshippers, believing the god is in the picture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Agreed.

Quoting parrishsky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)