Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tennessee Senate Approves Ban On Teaching Of Homosexuality

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

Tennessee Senate Approves Ban On Teaching Of Homosexuality

Tennessee Teaching Homosexuality Ban

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A bill passed Friday by the Tennessee Senate would forbid public school teachers and students in grades kindergarten through eight from discussing the fact that some people are gay.

Opponents deride the measure as the "don't say gay bill." They say it's unfair to the children of gay parents and could lead to more bullying. Supporters say it is intended to give teachers clear guidance for dealing with younger children on a potentially explosive topic.

The bill isn't likely to be taken up by the House before lawmakers adjourn this spring, but the sponsor there has said he would push it forward in 2012 when the General Assembly comes back for the second year of the session.

Passage would make Tennessee the first state to enact such legislation, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In 2003, Washington defeated a proposal similar to Tennessee's, as did California in 2005 and 2006. A Louisiana law forbids the use of sexually explicit materials depicting homosexuality in sex education classes.

Under the proposal, any instruction or materials at a public elementary or middle school would be limited to age-appropriate lessons about the science of human reproduction.

The legislation was amended from the original version, which said no elementary or middle schools will "provide any instruction or material that discusses sexual orientation other than heterosexuality." Republican Senate sponsor Stacey Campfield of Knoxville said some of his colleagues were uncomfortable with that language.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat," Campfield said after the vote. "I got what I wanted."

He said the language is appropriate because "homosexuals don't naturally reproduce," and he said it's necessary because the state's curriculum is unclear on what can be taught.

However, a critic said the new wording could create other problems.

Advertisement

Sen. Roy Herron, D- Dresden, said it "may inadvertently prevent the teaching of ethics, morality and abstinence."

Stephen Smith, assistant commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Education, also said he's unaware of homosexuality being taught anywhere in the state. He said there is nothing in the state's curriculum standards that allows students to be taught about homosexuality.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on May. 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM
That's. Beyond. Disgusting.

I think my 7th graders will read about this after testing next week and have a deabate. We talk about life/relationships frequently - including gay relationships. One of the books in my classroom library has the story "If You Kiss a Boy" by Alex Sanchez in it (about a 7th grade boy realizing he's in love with his best friend- who is also male, and is of a different race); that story is a favorite among my students this year.

Guess I'd better not move to Tennessee.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM

This is going to start more trouble than if they would've just left it alone. What a box of tools.

Sofiabug
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM
I guess in tennessee just by saying the word gay they are taking a chance of their kids catching the gay bug.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Layla19
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Let's see...

Schools already don't "teach" homosexuality...

They're starting a huge debate now, and gay is all over the news...

The kids they're trying to "protect" from Teh Gay will hear more about it, than if the ban hadn't ever been proposed...

Is this ban part of the Gay Agenda I've been hearing so much about?

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on May. 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM
This post is a perfect example of why we need a "like" button on cafemom.

Quoting Layla19:

Let's see...

Schools already don't "teach" homosexuality...

They're starting a huge debate now, and gay is all over the news...

The kids they're trying to "protect" from Teh Gay will hear more about it, than if the ban hadn't ever been proposed...

Is this ban part of the Gay Agenda I've been hearing so much about?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici:

This is going to start more trouble than if they would've just left it alone. What a box of tools.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Isn't Tennessee one of those states that want to have prayers and bible in the public classrooms?  They seem to have a problem with anyone not heterosexual..and Christian.  So it doesn't surprise me that they would be discriminatory toward gays.  How glad I am not to live in Tennessee...Florida is bad enough.

iluv2meow
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM

BUMP!

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 21, 2011 at 11:35 PM
Reminds me of the mentality " don't talk about the lump in your breast and it will go away". Only the assholes behind this legislation are the actual cancer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelansmom
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:06 AM

It's ok to be Takei!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)