• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Volcano erupts in Iceland

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

Iceland's most active volcano erupted Saturday, with a white plume shooting 18,000 feet into the air, scientists said.

The eruption was followed by around 50 small earthquakes, the largest of which measured 3.7 on the Richter Scale, according to Iceland's meteorological office.

There was a similar eruption at the same volcano in 2004.

Scientists don't believe this eruption will lead to air travel chaos like that caused by ash from the Eyjafjallajokul volcano in April 2010.

The Grimsvotn volcano is located underneath the Vatnajokull glacier in southeast Iceland.

Sparsely populated Iceland is one of the world's most volcanically active countries and eruptions are frequent.

They often cause local flooding from melting glacier ice, but rarely cause deaths.

Last year's Eyjafjallajokul eruption left millions of air travelers stranded after winds pushed the ash cloud toward some of the world's busiest airspace and led most northern European countries to ground all planes for five days.

In November, melted glacial ice began pouring from Grimsvotn, signaling a possible eruption. That was a false alarm but scientists have been monitoring the volcano closely ever since.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43121772/ns/world_news-europe/

by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Volcanoes fascinate me

trippyhippy
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM
And so it begins. Lol
rfurlongg
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM
I wonder how that will affect those living in the area long term. Thx for sharing the article.
ProudMuslimMa2B
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM
"Eyjafjallajokul" what a name...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Wow again geez

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I am the same way VVV.  I would love to go see a semi active volcano and watch it.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Maybe the end really is near?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Oh, and to add one of my favorite quotes of all time.

"If you ever lose your keys in a river of molting hot lava, let them go. Cause man, they're gone" ~Jack Handy 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)