Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Saving money

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • 28 Replies

What is your favorite way to save money?

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinangels
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I'm a modified extreme couponer, and I bake all our own bread and most of our crackers, have a veggie garden, and my last vice is the darn coffee bar at Wegmans. I will quit.

Oh yeah, and we don't keep cable.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Stop eating out.  Replacing old things with new, energy efficient models (as they go bad). Growing a garden.  Buying in season. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM

The first "bill" that is paid on the 1st of every month is a large deposit from checking into savings.

RissyLee
by Rissy on May. 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I don't buy things I don't need.  I don't buy movies, CDs, books (I only buy them for my son), or extra little fluff.  I don't eat out.  I try to buy just fresh veggies/fruits, meat, and canned goods to save money on groceries - nothing frozen and nothing already made.  My dad and I have a garden over at his house.  I don't drive around for no reason to save on gas.  I stalk Craigslist to find clothes and toys for my son that are cheap and still in really good condition.  I never go out to bars, movies, etc.  I don't go to the mall.

I could go on for awhile.  Basically, if it's not a necessity then I don't buy it.  (except for my cell phone and my basic cable)

stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM

My favorite is technically getting things free (picking things up on the side of the road but only if they are useful) and going to yard sales (real yard sales not the I want to be an antique sale). I love couponing using the sales papers and buying the bulk sales (I do not believe in hording nor do I have that kind of room but I could qualify as a light pack rat in areas outside of food). I love getting my budget down to a formula.I will try anything that involves a little time and no money in order to get a return.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Good one...hopefully with a good interest rate.

Quoting EireLass:

The first "bill" that is paid on the 1st of every month is a large deposit from checking into savings.

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Do you watch tv on the internet?

Quoting lovinangels:

I'm a modified extreme couponer, and I bake all our own bread and most of our crackers, have a veggie garden, and my last vice is the darn coffee bar at Wegmans. I will quit.

lovinangels
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Yep, sure do. We do have netflix and a hulu plus membership.Totals $16 a month.

Quoting stormcris:

Do you watch tv on the internet?

Quoting lovinangels:

Did someone say something you like in this thread? Grab the quote and paste it here for a chance to win cafemom prizes!

I'd love to talk about saving money, babies, and bad hair days over at my blog.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 21, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I`m starting to try my hand at extreme couponing. I bake my own bread and crackers. I make my own jam too. I sew my own toilet paper, pads and paper towels. I recycle water to flush toilets and water the grass and garden. I have vegetable garden with a a couple berry bushes and fruit trees. I shop second hand and sew my dd`s dresses out of old t shirts (I make matching shorts to go underneath too ;-) That`s a bout it right now,lol.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I stopped smoking :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)