• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diabetic woman sues over coffee she says made her sick

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM
  • 9 Replies

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) – A woman with diabetes has filed a lawsuit against a Dunkin' Donuts shop, claiming workers put real sugar instead of artificial sweetener in her coffee, sending her into diabetic shock.

Danielle Jordan ordered the coffee on her way to work on June 15, 2009 and asked for artificial sweetener, according to the lawsuit which was filed on Thursday.

The shop added sugar instead and she soon felt ill, said her lawyer Kenneth Rodgers on Friday.

She went to a hospital where she was treated, he said.

When she drank the coffee, she thought it contained the sweetener, he said.

"She has not had sugar in 10 years. How could she tell?" he asked.

The suit does not seek any specific damages.

The lawyer said the suit was filed nearly two years later because talks had been ongoing with the company, which had investigated the incident.

Neither Dunkin' Donuts nor the Philadelphia franchisee, Northeast Donut Shops Management, would comment on the suit

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Did she eat a donut too? Could that not have sent her into the diabetic shock?

metalhealthmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM
i can tell the difference in the taste...could she not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BleedinHeartMom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM

artificial sweetner has a really really sweet taste, I thought anyone could tell the difference

metalhealthmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:37 AM
oh, i saw the quote...still she couldnt tell it tasted DIFFERENT.

Quoting metalhealthmom:

i can tell the difference in the taste...could she not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Hey, how about preparing your own coffee?!

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM

I didn't think Dunkin' did that.. I always had to make up my own coffee...

Wahhh I miss Dunkin'!!!!

Anyway, she should have either watched, or made up her own.

Sofiabug
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM
My husband is diabetic. He had to stop ordering diet soda when we go out because 99% of the time the restaurant serves him regular. Its frustrating. He even would ask "this is diet, right" the waitress would sat yes, he would take a drink and it would be regular soda. Then he'd have to wait the 15 minutes for a waitress to come back correct it. So he just orders water now because they can't screw that up.
I can see why the lady would be upset, but its crazy to sue over it. It didn't cause longterm harm. Diabetic's blood sugar often fluxuates. We wouldn't sue because a dumb waitress served him coke instead of diet coke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettymama72106
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I will add this how do we know it was the coffee. NOt saying she would lie but people have in order to get money. Also artificial sweetner and real sugar taste very different. Plus unless they tested the coffee to see what was in it there is no way to prove it was the cofee. I always try to look at it from all angles but to me if it did happen the way she said it it was a mistake they happen. I think people are too sue happy. Unfortunetley though she will probablly win simply because people want to be able to sue even for the dumbest reasons so they feel a need to back others ridiculous lawsuits. Also anyo ne know how much she is asking for

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I gotta find something to sue someone with big pockets over.  I could use the cash.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)