• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you feel if you found out your child's teacher was drunk on the job?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:25 AM
  • 11 Replies

Teacher charged with public drunkenness

Last Update: 6/03 9:53 am
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Print Story | Share

Ashburn, Va. (AP) - Police say a fourth-grader teacher at an Ashburn school has been charged with public drunkenness after allegedly being intoxicated at the school.

The Loudoun County Sherriff's Office says 43-year-old Laura Ann Collins of Leesburg, who teaches at Creighton's Corner Elementary School, was charged Wednesday after authorities determined she was under the influence of alcohol. An employee at the school had alerted police about the incident.

Wayde Byard, a public information officer for Loudoun County public schools, says Collins had been attending an in-school training session on Wednesday, and had not taught any classes that day.

Byard says Collins has been suspended without pay. He says Collins has taught at Loudoun County schools for 20
years and has been at Creighton's Corner since it opened it 2008.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RissyLee
by Rissy on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Under the influence?  Public drunkenness?  I would like to know what her BAC was, as well as the reason as to why she had been drinking.  Did she have alcohol at the school?

1Giovanni
by Becca on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:41 AM

I had a 4th grade teacher who was drunk at school all of the time. He was the best teacher we ever had. lol. My mother figured it out, but she didn't do anything about it.

If the teacher wasn't drunk teaching my child, I wouldn't care.

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:18 AM

I think there has to be more to this. If she has an alcohol problem, why was it just noticed in an off-season meeting? Did people notice and no one did anything until then school was out? Was she drinking while teaching the whole school year? If so, why wasn't she suspended before? A lot of questions.   

Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I do agree that it's vague

JezebelKel
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM

There has to be more to this story.

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM

what if she was at a wedding or celebrating or..... Hell I was out drinking Thursday Im a dance teacher and volunteer at my cousin's wedding, is that bad????

Kaydence2010
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM
my sophmore english teacher in highschool was always drunk. during lunch shed go to her car and drink and she went to the bar at the restaurant i worked at almost everynight. it was great but id be pissed if it was an elementary school teacher
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Honestly as long as they conducted class in a good manner and the kids did not take an issue and they were not driving ....I do not have an issue with it. Some people are so much calmer drinking than not. So really it would just depend on the overall circumstances and behavior.

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM

My art teacher should have been in big trouble then.. he brought his bourbon, whiskey, vodka etc, to school.. trust me, we stole his coffee thermos enough bwahahahaha.

Though, I think there is more to this story.. not enough info to make a good call on it

Tara922c
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I would be pretty pissed. If I went to work drunk, I would be fired. If my S/O went to work drunk, he would be fired. If my babysitter came to my house drunk, she would be fired. How hard is it not to be drunk at 8 o'clock in the morning? I guess since it was an in-school training session I would leave her punishment up to the school board. If my child was in her care, and she was drunk, she would either be fired, or my child would be in a different class. I would think the majority of people with jobs would be punished if they went to work intoxicated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)