• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't get why it's such a big deal

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM
  • 92 Replies

Why is it 'so inappropriate' to verbalize that being a mom and/or having children is difficult?

Are you one of those sanctimommies?

What's it to you if people actually admit that motherhood probably wasn't a great plan? Does it matter if parents occasionally complain about how hard being a parent is? Should the state step in and start taking kids away from parents who aren't GUNG HO about every aspect of parenthood?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMuslimMa2B
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Lol all the young girls in my DHs family ask me about how much childbirth hurts, and I just say that childbirth is easy and raising kids is hard. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyBlueMom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM

No,it shouldn't be a big deal.Raising kids is difficult at times.It is hard to parent at times.We're only human and far from perfect.Our kids aren't perfect either.

All I can say is,excuse us "honest" parents all to hell then!

katzmeow726
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM
I love being a mommy. But when you get pregnant, you don't typically plan on twins (or multiples period lol). I do get overwhelmed, and tired, and frustrated. A lot...specially when I have two toddlers going through terrible twos, potty training, and as of this past week, freaking rotavirus...
So yes, I may have to fuss a little bit! Doesn't mean I don't love being a mom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Freaking rotavirus! That is why I put off swimming lessons until this year. I sure hope DD doesn't get it.

lovinangels
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Sometimes you have to vent. It's not a big deal. I'm uber-appreciative, and it's not an act, because I missed most of my oldest child's formative years while I attempted to balance both a career and mommyhood. 

So when I have a bad day, I just think about the days when the school was calling because my baby was sick and I couldn't leave work and someone else was loving my sweet girl and now she's too damn big to fit on my lap, nor does she want to be there.

katzmeow726
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM
We are in the "lucky" 40% that gets it a second time. However it was very mild this round...just glad it seems to be over. Stomach bug poos have a distinct smell...and I swear it just sticks in your nose. Blech. I don't know where they picked it up!

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici:

Freaking rotavirus! That is why I put off swimming lessons until this year. I sure hope DD doesn't get it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Sadly to some of the women on here yes. I know parent hood isn't easy but I choose to have kids and with that I choose to deal with the easy times and the not so easy times, such as having a pre teen who has the mind set that she now knows more then me.

Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Quoting Jacqalyn:

Sadly to some of the women on here yes. I know parent hood isn't easy but I choose to have kids and with that I choose to deal with the easy times and the not so easy times, such as having a pre teen who has the mind set that she now knows more then me.

Just to be clear, this isn't CM specific.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM

It shouldn't be. Some people live life griping about everything. They do what they are supposed to and do it well. If they want to gripe about it who is to say they shouldn't. If they say they hate their job who is to say that is wrong. There are tons of people who claim to love being a parent and love the whole kit and caboodle and beat the living snot out of their kids and claim to be good parents. Griping doesn't make a bad parent and hating different aspects of parenting does not make a person not love their child. I love my children, I love my responsibility, I hate the politics of parenting and many people on this board hate that and we gripe about it all the time. People lose themselves being parents and it makes them resentful and some feel they can never relate this. Some people do not know they were never meant to be parents and it is so much better for these people to say they are not suited than for them to go through the motions as well. Who knows griping might save a life.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I love this post!!!

You know what, people straight up lie. Our elders lied, our siblings lied, our labor delivery staff lied, our OB's lied.

NO ONE told us the truth.

If you were lucky enough, you had a good friend tell you the real deal, but for most of us, there was nothing but sheer shock when we made the transition from maiden to mother. Some of us are still adjusting, d'oh!

So no, I do not think people admitting their downs within their parenthood journey is a bad thing at all. With social media we are able to see others' highs and lows and see that we are pretty normal as we ride the same waves.

As far as I am concerned, CPS ought to pass around honesty ribbons for those of us who are not afriad to say, "yeah, somedays this gig sucks hairy goat balls and I want OUT."

Huzzah, how dat for some truth?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)