Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you teach creationism?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM
  • 253 Replies

If all "theories" are deserving of equal treatment in a classroom, how exactly do you propose teaching creationism along side evolution?  Do you have a textbook?  Do you have experiments you can do?  How do you test this?  Can you give examples of current spontaneous creation that you can point to as proof? Can you apply the scientific method to the teaching of creationism?  And, what version?   

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

First there was the Sun God and the Moon Goddess and they were lonely so they made whoopy and thus the Earth and all its inhabitants were born  :P

ETA: The proof of my religious belief as a scientific theory is that the Sun, the Moon and the Earth and everything on it all exist.

LOL

"Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on."—Terry Pratchett

PamR
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM

In my opinion, you can't "teach" creationism outside of a religious context.  Therefore, it doesn't belong in a public school classroom.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:24 PM

You can't teach creationism without religion.

I don't mind my kids being taught any theory as long as they know that some people believe this and other's that and they should come to their own conclusion.

I personally believe in both. You can be created and then evolve.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:27 PM

And before any other Pagans freak out on me, no thats not the real Pagan creation belief. In Paganism there are thousands of different beliefs on creation. I was just pulling that out of left field for the fun of it :)

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Or...

Instead of a lecture and extended unit plan on Creationism, a teacher could say, "there is another theory that says species were created as they are."

I don't remember getting much education in the theory of Evolution with extensive use of textbooks or experimentation.

Della529
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I'd like to see the materials homeschoolers use.

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Or...

Instead of a lecture and extended unit plan on Creationism, a teacher could say, "there is another theory that says species were created as they are."

I don't remember getting much education in the theory of Evolution with extensive use of textbooks or experimentation.

And when a kid raises their hand and says "created by who or what" how should the teacher answer?

I grew up in NYC and we had extensive education on Evolutionary Theory, complete with a day long trip to the Museum of Natural History, and a packet that we had to use to answer questions on the Evolutionary Trail. 

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Quoting Arroree:

And before any other Pagans freak out on me, no thats not the real Pagan creation belief. In Paganism there are thousands of different beliefs on creation. I was just pulling that out of left field for the fun of it :)

I liked it; it was better than my "Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy had a baby and that baby populated the world, with Santa giving everyone chocolate and the Tooth Fairy collecting all the rotten teeth."

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Quoting Arroree:

First there was the Sun God and the Moon Goddess and they were lonely so they made whoopy and thus the Earth and all its inhabitants were born  :P

ETA: The proof of my religious belief as a scientific theory is that the Sun, the Moon and the Earth and everything on it all exist.

LOL

Sounds about right lol

SuprMom12042702
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM
My hubby said you teach it from the book of King James' Fairy Tales... Lol
however he did like the moo n and sun making whoopy story
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)