Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For parents who feel saying NO is bad....

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM
  • 43 Replies

You know who you are....for those who don't believe you should tell your child NO or let them cry, how do you teach a young child to NOT do something? And at what age do you feel its appropriate for your young child to experience a negative emotion?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaNoonoo
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I tell my child "no" a lot.  I do try to use specific language, though.  Instead of "don't run!" I say "walk, please."  It comes from teaching preschool.  She only gets one warning though, and then she can cry in time out all she wants.

ETA: I do not CIO at bedtime, though.  I figure in a few years she won't want me in her room, and we both sleep better when she's happy.  So, I snuggle her a lot at night, sometimes all night.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Oh my, who shelters thier child that much?

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM
I do not believe in CIO at all and I try not to use no all day which is hard with a toddler for example I will say Liam walk, let's share or other things. I'm a very AP parent but it's inevitable that no is a word my children hear and know well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM
We are the same. If I say no, I say specifically what they are doing wrong and redirect. And I have very well behaved 2 year olds. So much so, I regularly receive compliments from family and strangers...no seems to work just fine lol

Quoting MommaNoonoo:

I tell my child "no" a lot.  I do try to use specific language, though.  Instead of "don't run!" I say "walk, please."  It comes from teaching preschool.  She only gets one warning though, and then she can cry in time out all she wants.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I only know 1 person that never tells her kids 'no'. Now she's wondering why they're hellions.

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM
I'm wondering who this post is directed at? AP moms who co-sleep and don't cry it out or lazy moms who just don't care?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Rissy on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM
I'm not really fond of saying 'no,' but it still happens. It has nothing to do with not wanting my son to feel negative emotions. I let him cry. When I'm trying to teach him what I want him to do I think I can do that better by telling what to do rather than just saying no all the time or what he can't do. As he gets older I say just no less often and talk things through more often. For now, no and redirection is most effective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sofiabug
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM
My best friend. He boys are so bad I will not babysit for them. Her oldest started kindergarten and was suspended six times. She has done them no favor by letting them run wild.

Quoting resamerie:

I only know 1 person that never tells her kids 'no'. Now she's wondering why they're hellions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaNoonoo
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM

What is her reaction when he is suspended?

Quoting Sofiabug:

My best friend. He boys are so bad I will not babysit for them. Her oldest started kindergarten and was suspended six times. She has done them no favor by letting them run wild.

Quoting resamerie:

Rosehips62
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Where on Earth do you find all these mothers who never say "no" and never let them cry ( guessing you mean when they don't get their way). I've been from parent participation preschool all the way through the sixth grade with both my kids and have never seen this.

I knew one other child like this when I was growing up, and yes she was a brat. I don't know what became of her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)