Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about President Obama's legislation of for profit schools?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:38 PM
  • 5 Replies

Liberals say it doesn't go far enough, conservatives think it's overreaching. What do you think?

The Obama administration's crackdown on for-profit colleges is drawing backlash from conservatives and liberals alike.

On Thursday, the Education Department released the final regulations aimed at what are known as career or vocational schools, which train medical technicians, chefs, welders, electricians and the like. The regulations will cut federal aid to programs that don't lead to "gainful employment."

"These new regulations will help ensure that students at these schools are getting what they pay for: solid preparation for a good job," Education Secretary Arne Duncan said. "We're giving career colleges every opportunity to reform themselves, but we're not letting them off the hook, because too many vulnerable students are being hurt."

Under the regulations introduced Thursday, a program would meet standards if at least 35 percent of former students are repaying their loans and the estimated annual loan payment of graduates doesn't exceed 30 percent of their discretionary income or 12 percent of their total earnings.

The first year programs would be deemed ineligible is 2015.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/04/obama-administrations-new-regulations-on-for-profit-colleges-draws-backlash/#ixzz1OMiYV9Bx

I'd love to talk about saving money, babies, and bad hair days over at my blog.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lovinangels
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM

No takers?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM
I think if the school is accepting federal grants, they are not truly private and should have to abide by the new rules and regs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinangels
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM

It seems like if you are going to go that route, thirty percent is hardly what I'd call a success rate. I don't see how the legislation will accomplish anything at all.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I think if the school is accepting federal grants, they are not truly private and should have to abide by the new rules and regs.

I'd love to talk about saving money, babies, and bad hair days over at my blog.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I haven't looked in depth at this one yet, but at a glance, I think its a good idea. There are a lot of for-profits out there that charge tons of money for very little extra. Our local community college has everything that a local for-profit has- and graduates seem to have better luck coming out of the CC. So, something isn't going well over at the FP- and it may have something to do with costing so much money.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM

so many of those schools charge way more for way less....have abysmal rates of graduation or successful job acquisition for graduates...yet take federal $ and leave students to pay back loans

Yep, an example of the need for regulation.  Having said that, our government is not always known for making sensible regs that address problems w/o causing more

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)